Do Power Cords Make A Difference?

• Yes they do make a difference

Votes: 145 39.8%
  • No they don't make a difference

Votes: 166 45.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 53 14.6%

• Total voters
These circular arguments could easily be laid to rest if those who hold certain views didn't insist on stating them over and over again ad infinitum (Arkless).

How can ArkLess resist to spreading the irrefutable and immutable truth that he holds?

All those who don't abide by this superior scientific knowledge whilst ignoring what they hear may be forever damned to Foo Hell!!!!

If only these difference hearers had the skill and acumen to produce products or repair them and allow others to test their assertions.

I think that in rock ballads a gradual but inevitable build to a crescendo of power c(h)ords and then a melodic gradual descent to the subdued finish makes a massive difference. Could be just me, but I definitely hear it.

As I said before, I listened to tons of Interconnects and speaker cables and power cords without detecting a difference. Then along comes this particular PC and I notice a big difference.
Why would I lie about this?
Why would my bias selection, which I had not succumbed to previously, suddenly take over?
Why would a disbelieving electrician with no part in this and no interest in Hi-Fi agree a substantial difference in a blind test?

Sometimes, rather than throwing insults out and calling people stupid or thick or whatever, perhaps just stop for a moment and respect the fact that there is a difference of opinion which no amount of words or insults will fix.

Nice try Dave! You and your ilk still don't know a resistor from a spark plug never mind your arse from your elbow though so even if i'd "merely" "learned some basic formulas for calculating resistance, inductance and stuff like that, learned how amplifiers worked" even that would make me an almost infinitely better judge of the subject than someone who knows zilch about "basic formulas for calculating resistance, inductance and stuff like that", and has no idea how amplifiers work, but got all enthusiastic after reading one too many 6moons reviews (probably written by a journo with a degree in History and Politics...) and due to expectation bias imagines all sorts of non existent phenomena, all literally incredible, to be real.
I mean that would be ludicrous enough really... but to compound it by stating that what you imagine you heard on your stereo trumps the entirety of mankind's scientific knowledge really takes it to another level!
I'm not sure who Dave is and I'm not sure how you conclude that I "don't know a resistor from a spark plug" when you've never met me (or any of my "ilk", whatever they are) and have know idea who I am or what I know. But that seems consistent with your approach of making conclusive statements about things you really don't fully understand, and then following it up with insults about arses and elbows.

But, seriously, do you really think that bodging hi fi for a living makes you the repository of "the entirety of mankind's scientific knowledge"? You are dangerous because you don't really know the thing you think you know, and you don't seem to grasp that there are limits to what you do know. And, frankly, you also seem to be a bit of a dick.

As I said before, I listened to tons of Interconnects and speaker cables and power cords without detecting a difference. Then along comes this particular PC and I notice a big difference.
Why would I lie about this?
Why would my bias selection, which I had not succumbed to previously, suddenly take over?
Why would a disbelieving electrician with no part in this and no interest in Hi-Fi agree a substantial difference in a blind test?

Sometimes, rather than throwing insults out and calling people stupid or thick or whatever, perhaps just stop for a moment and respect the fact that there is a difference of opinion which no amount of words or insults will fix.
I wouldn’t think you are stupid or thick but your experience is almost a direct opposite to mine and most people. I hear some difference with speaker cables and some interconnects as anyone with a smattering of electricity theory would expect.

Having heard of persons like yourself on another forum where it was the done thing I purchased a raved about PC.

Got it home, unpacked it and put it in place. I then spoke to the setup ‘I have been told you sound different. Show me what you can do’ powered up and heard no difference. Waited a few days for it to burn in, out, shake it all about. No change. Now a speaker cable sounded different from the first second, yuck.

So I would avoid living where you do and using the cable you speak of. Why does anyone think. No insult intended

I wouldn’t think you are stupid or thick but your experience is almost a direct opposite to mine and most people. I hear some difference with speaker cables and some interconnects as anyone with a smattering of electricity theory would expect.

Having heard of persons like yourself on another forum where it was the done thing I purchased a raved about PC.

Got it home, unpacked it and put it in place. I then spoke to the setup ‘I have been told you sound different. Show me what you can do’ powered up and heard no difference. Waited a few days for it to burn in, out, shake it all about. No change. Now a speaker cable sounded different from the first second, yuck.

So I would avoid living where you do and using the cable you speak of. Why does anyone think. No insult intended
This post makes no sense that I can see. Could you re-post it in a way that does? Seriously, not trying to be funny.

I'm not sure who Dave is and I'm not sure how you conclude that I "don't know a resistor from a spark plug" when you've never met me (or any of my "ilk", whatever they are) and have know idea who I am or what I know. But that seems consistent with your approach of making conclusive statements about things you really don't fully understand, and then following it up with insults about arses and elbows.

But, seriously, do you really think that bodging hi fi for a living makes you the repository of "the entirety of mankind's scientific knowledge"? You are dangerous because you don't really know the thing you think you know, and you don't seem to grasp that there are limits to what you do know. And, frankly, you also seem to be a bit of a dick.
You have put that much better than I could. Thanks.

your experience is almost a direct opposite to mine and most people.
How have you come to this conclusion may I ask.

If by most people, you mean a handful on a forum, then ok, your correct though you may want to check out the result thus far on the poll, just for clarity.

Oh, and -
SCOTTISH archaic
of the place or estate of the same name.
noun: of that ilk; plural noun: of that ilks
"Sir Iain Moncreiffe of that Ilk"
I came across it in a historical novel. I had sometimes wondered where it came from.

How have you come to this conclusion may I ask.

If by most people, you mean a handful on a forum, then ok, your correct though you may want to check out the result thus far on the poll, just for clarity.
I can only see the highlighted part on the forum, until I try to quote it, then it all shows. Why is that, I wonder? It's happened to other posts too.

This post makes no sense that I can see. Could you re-post it in a way that does? Seriously, not trying to be funny.
They rarely do, the usual personal bias heaped onto yet another cable thread because he feels he wasted £35 & his input connection broke :rolleyes: it's tired & tedious posting of the worst kind, trolling or thread crapping seems apt as most of the posts are full of nonsense..

Actually, it seems to go along the following lines: "Years ago I attended a technical college where I learned some basic formulas for calculating resistance, inductance and stuff like that, learned how amplifiers worked and then spent the next 20 years soldering things for a living. So I am an expert on "science". I am not aware of any formulas from my technical college training which show why power cords/interconects/speaker cables/amplifiers/dacs [delete as appropriate] should sound different, so they don't. This would be against "science". Science involves applying the fixed and immutable formulas I learned in college and any observations or experimental results which contradict these are "foo". [Note: foo is bad.] Experimental results or evidence which cannot be explained by the established principles that I have learned in college must be "foo" because that is Science. I believe in my version of "science" and will defend this opinion to death in the way a religious nut defends and believes in an invisible god who no one has ever seen. I have never read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Structure_of_Scientific_Revolutions and if I did I wouldn't understand it."
Please don't drag Kuhn into this. I love his work and have read SSR several times (in fact, it was a key reference in my Philosophy PhD). It has no relevance to the topic of mains cables in hi-fi.

And, speaking now as a Physics PhD candidate, there is zero chance that the marketing guff of a few companies with a vested interest in selling overpriced cables to hi-fi enthusiasts is going to lead to a new period of revolutionary science. If there were the slightest prospect of that, the highly competitive research community would have been all over it long ago.

Marketing is in everything we buy, super expensive mains cables are for those with more money than sense IMO, if some want to pay hundreds for cables, good luck to them, it certainly has nothing to do with sound quality, it must be a status thing to hang over their stupidly expensive hifi exhibit.

Needs some van damme :p

23rpfyd.jpg

advertisement

Back