Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Politicians that make me want to puke...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by DavidY80, Dec 3, 2012.

1. DavidY80

DavidY80 Not RoHS Compliant

..every time I hear them being interviewed: -

Danny Alexander

Theresa May

Gideon ( I'd quite like to give him a slap too)

Ed Balls

And so many others

2. rodwsmith

rodwsmith Yeah, right, member

Benjamin Netanyahu

3. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

It would narrow the field if it was politicians that DON'T make me puke:rolleyes:

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Like Kendo says.

5. packtech

packtech Ex band member twice.. :)

Politicians, Puke.

It is like fingers down the throat, no brainer..they are all self serving, money grabbing, false accounting slugs IMHO unless they can prove to me otherwise..they all have their fingers in the pie and travel the gravy train, unless they can show me otherwise..the biggest problem with democracy is that NO POLITICIAN FROM WHEREVER AND WHICHEVER PARTY IS EVER HELD TO ACCOUNT FOR HIS/HER LIES, FAILED PROMISES OR UTTER DECEIT, SAVE THE ODD SCAPEGOAT OFFERED TO THE PUBLIC AS A SACRIFICE..

6. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

wow
    they are out early tonight.

7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Sounds uncannily like the financial services sector you're describing.

8. DaveKen

DaveKen Numptie old newbie.

Both houses of our parliament.

9. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Suggest an alternative..

Stand for election on your own, impeccable record..

Or just shut up.

10. dynodebs

dynodebs /°\

My Right Honourable Friend makes an important point.

I feel very strongly that the electorate ought to vote. Most of them only have a vote because their forebears fought for it, and they should use it; it's not even a hundred years since all men got the vote.

But, looking at the turnout over the last 60 years,there has been a steady fall, from 84% in the 1950 general election, to 64% in 2010. I hope the by-election and PCC turnouts of around 20% and 15% are normal mid-term dips, and that people will vote in greater numbers in 2015.

All three mainstream parties have been concerned about the drop in turnout for at least the 30 years I've been involved in politics, but they've made no progress in engaging the public.

Look at the often expressed opinions that, 'they are all the same', 'they're all only in it for what they can get', 'they only look after their own', 'they all have their noses in the trough' etc

I don't know why people would bother to vote any more, unless they are are already strongly politically motivated. I don't know how to make sure that people have a way to be heard.

It seem to me that if people aren't heard through the ballot box, they will be heard in less democratic ways, using civil unrest as a mechanism, like street protests and riots, by refusing to be policed by consent, by taking the law into their own hands.

The big worry for me is that if this happens, we will end up in a dictatorship, with the level of policing and/or military control that implies. Bit too late then to be wishing we'd all tried harder!

Debs

11. DaveKen

DaveKen Numptie old newbie.

Debs, you also make an important point. You paint a worrying scenario which I suspect may be very near what will happen, IMHO.

12. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

Anyone that at the age of 12 decides that they want to be a politician is odd. When they get to 15 and wear ties and go to political meetings, running for the head of their little group, they become the sort of people you need to avoid. When they become adults and climb up through the council ranks, they become creepy. When they mature to being politicians, you realise that they are mentally ill in quite a bad way.
    They are all like Gove, but most have a team to make them appear more normal in public. Women politicians have fictitious husbands that you never see, and the men have suitable wives donated from families that will benefit.
    They are all very creepy.

13. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

The world has changed and is continuing to change in a way that politicians still don't fully acknowledge. Public opinion is rallied now on the internet and is almost instant - far too fast for politicians to manipulate at this time, although they will eventually learn how to drop a seed of propaganda and watch it go viral, but they haven't grasped it yet. The old fashioned ways of the ballot box are a bit too quaint and slow in this day and age, although they play their part when election time come around.

The Government are talking about Starbucks this week (Google and Amazon are watching) regarding tax. The on-line vitriol on Facebook against Starbucks is threatening their position in the UK market, and this matter will be solved by consumers far more effectively than any slow government bill.
    It works differently now. Just because it doesn't work in the old traditional way doesn't mean the people are not engaged with politics - they have just taken it away from politicians.

And it isn't civil unrest, if that is what you are frightened of. Look at Belfast last night with the riot over a sodding flag. That isn't normal and won't become normal - it still looks pathetic and retarded.

14. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

The drop in voter turnout over the last sixty years or so mirrors the rise of television news. As people have become more aware of what national politicians are actually like they have become less inclined to vote for them. This is unfortunate as many (not all) politicians , at least at local level, work hard for little reward - it`s the parlimentary types who so often have their snouts in the trough and deserve our disgust.

15. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Quite. I don't vote precisely because I am interested and engaged in politics.