advertisement

Police using facial scanning

What we need is some way to compare the number of arrests to the number of convictions for different ethnicities - that might give us some indication of whether a disproportionate number of black people were being arrested arbitrarily. Then we could do something similar with men and women, to see if something similar were going on there, as you suggest.

40927836073_305e7f73e9_z.jpg

That's interesting!

47842127212_8f42cf9cda_z.jpg

Hmmm...

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...tribunals/prosecutions-and-convictions/latest

Or it could show that magistrates and juries exercise a positive bias towards female / BAME defendants.

Not sure what your point is - that gender bias is also built into the software? That's ... a relief. What?

That you are choosing what evidence to use in order to arbitrarily call groups racist.

Or it could show that magistrates and juries exercise a positive bias towards female / BAME defendants.

Sure, that's the more likely scenario!

That you are choosing what evidence to use in order to arbitrarily call groups racist.
OK I give up, neither the tech industry or the police are racist or sexist in ways that might amplify each other with damaging consequences for a persecuted group and this experiment should be allowed to run its inevitably benign course.

OK I give up, neither the tech industry or the police are racist or sexist in ways that might amplify each other with damaging consequences for a persecuted group and this experiment should be allowed to run its inevitably benign course.

Technology is neutral, it can be used in a way that is biased, or in an in an unbiased way if you follow scientific principles, what you seem to be complaining about is how technology is used, rather than the technology itself.

Trouble is Sean, you're asserting that the police and tech groups are racist, but you're unable to say who the persecuted group is. Looks like white men in the UK, from the Government stats! (Not my view.)

Trouble is Sean, you're asserting that the police and tech groups are racist, but you're unable to say who the persecuted group is. Looks like white men in the UK, from the Government stats! (Not my view.)
In the case of the police, it's black people isn't it? Lots of indicators there but the conviction rates I pointed to is one of them: the lower conviction rate suggests that more black people are arrested groundlessly than white people. Unless, as Seeker suggests, the judiciary is institutionally anti-white. :)

What we need is some way to compare the number of arrests to the number of convictions for different ethnicities - that might give us some indication of whether a disproportionate number of black people were being arrested arbitrarily.

I think you’ll find the data becomes even more interesting depending on offence arrested/convicted for.

It’s been well documented that the recording of stop/search, and arrest numbers can be skewed depending on what influences take place at a given time re policing eg HMIC scrutiny, crime trends, descriptions of suspects re certain offence types, all mashed in with the Mosaic data and other scanning for a given area.

My personal view was my staff would be held to account on conviction of a suspect, not that the enquiry had reached a position where the suspect had been charged/reported for an offence. This measure is called the attrition rate.

I’d also scrutinise the documentation for search/arrest, in conjunction with speaking to officers about their grounds. I cannot account for what happened elsewhere, tho.

There is the a court case in Cardiff about the police's use of facial recognition. An office worker called Ed Bridges maintains the police's use of it on him is an unlawful violation of privacy. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...irst-major-legal-challenge-over-a4147636.html

I saw somebody interviewed on television today who said facial recognition software has been used by the police in America for years. It is so unreliable, especially with black people, San Francisco has banned its use by the police.

He reckoned the introduction of facial recognition into the UK is another example of the British authorities waddling behind America.

Jack

TEch's made by people. It's never neutral. In this case it's racist.

I made a racist amplifier once! Alchemist Products "The Pre" has touch sensitive input selection which I designed and at prototyping stage all was well until a black person tried it and it didn't work... same with a second black person... it worked fine for all the white people there! Obviously it was unintentional and after increasing the sensitivity it worked for everyone:)

I hardly think racial or gender bias in the software is the point! The entire concept of them watching you, keeping tabs on you, is something I consider a heinous infringement of my human rights! The state or police have no right to know who I am, where I am, what I'm doing.

I made a racist amplifier once! Alchemist Products "The Pre" has touch sensitive input selection which I designed and at prototyping stage all was well until a black person tried it and it didn't work... same with a second black person... it worked fine for all the white people there! Obviously it was unintentional and after increasing the sensitivity it worked for everyone:)

No the whole tech industry is racist.

I hardly think racial or gender bias in the software is the point! The entire concept of them watching you, keeping tabs on you, is something I consider a heinous infringement of my human rights! The state or police have no right to know who I am, where I am, what I'm doing.

I got done for 80 in a 70 zone. I filled in the NIPS when it arrived and got a threatening letter back about perverting the course of justice. I sent back a photo of myself and told them to take a look at their evidence, I was heavily bearded 65 year old. The photo was returned with an apology, they were TARGETTING some youths a few doors up in our street with a similar car. I kid you not....! They thought I was taking the rap for my 'son'. So the photo worked in this case.

You're taking this (old) news pretty hard. Don't shoot the messenger.

I don't have issue with the news, I have issue with the way you have done a Trump or Daily Mail job on the facts.

advertisement

Back