advertisement

Police using facial scanning

Ginger

pfm Member
BBC news reports the Metropolitan police deploying a facial scanning trial in London. 3 people arrested and a couple of people not happy and hiding their faces. One man given a fixed penalty notice for disorder (£90 if he pays without court appearance.).

A spokesman said something to the effect of trialling the kit to understand people's reactions and perceptions, balancing their human rights with protecting the public.

What do the fishies think of this and which human right is engaged by the state with this deployment of technology, do we think?

From what I have read it doesn’t work with any reliability. The Police seems of have got the hump because a member of the public covered up his face and gave him grief. He gave them a mouthful and was arrested. I suppose at least he know knows how the black population in London feel.

From what I have read it doesn’t work with any reliability.

It doesn't yet. But there are plenty of research team with lots of money trying to get it to work, it's only a matter of time......very similar to the development cycle for ANPR

This and gait analysis are going on all over. None are of themselves definitive, but they build a case. A friend of mine pointed out that metadata are the future. We all know that mobile phone location is the first thing that the police look at. They also look at car numberplates. If they have 6 months of data that show that your phone was with you in your car, every day, then one day your phone stayed at home while your car was clocked by a camera near where a crime was committed, you may have some explaining to do.

It's absolutely outrageous! ANPR is bad enough but this is beyond the pale... I don't recall voting to be tracked by Big Brother... First to say "If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about" is a twat!

Even now the implications are horrendous but imagine we end up with a Farage/Yaxley-Racist gov! "that one looks a bit Jewish/Muslim gov..." or even "isn't that one of them lefty traitors? we have him on camera from a Gina Miller rally before she was arrested... yeah nab 'im!"

Imagine even under present times that "they" don't like you... you're a whistle blower, or maybe even got caught out shagging a coppers missus'... Imagine being followed by this tech until they can get you for even throwing a fag butt away in the street or some such incredibly small misdemeanour that is technically illegal but "we all do it"... "they" could make your life a misery!

We all know that mobile phone location is the first thing that the police look at. They also look at car numberplates. If they have 6 months of data that show that your phone was with you in your car, every day, then one day your phone stayed at home while your car was clocked by a camera near where a crime was committed, you may have some explaining to do.
I doubt all of that to be honest.

Are phone locations routinely monitored, if so how? Would a forensically aware person (like anyone who watches TV) carry a traceable phone wherever they go? What if you do not drive a car? Even if you do, so what?

There was a programme on mainstream TV which showed how real forensic analysis worked. It was nothing like the fictional forensic TV.

WOW steady there, if you throw a fag out the window you should be arrested, even shot, by the way stevec67 what is gait

Face scanning isn't reliable, especially with black people. There are no regulations concerning it, yet there have been arrests made using the technology. The Metro reported five months ago the software has a 98% failure rate. https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/17/met-to-trial-facial-recognition-despite-98-failure-rate-8256303/

I haven't agreed to have my face scanned by the police. There hasn't been a debate or vote in the House of Commons about facial scanning. The government and police are going ahead anyway on the sly. I don't trust them.

With facial scanning the police and government are taking us a step closer to a dictatorship. Big Brother is literally watching you.

Jack

Facial scanning/gait analysis is a "logical" - in technological development terms - next step in what to do with all the data they have on you already from CCTV. What they're trialling now may seem hugely invasive. It is little different to police going back over CCTV records to see if someone was or wasn't in a certain part of town when something or other might have happened. Today it is done manually, tomorrow it's automatic. No one is going to stop it. People appear, largely, to have stopped complaining about all the CCTV that is out there, eventually we'll stop complaining that the data is being used.

Consider the hundreds of perfectly legitimate peaceful protest/campaigning groups such as Green Peace, CND, save the whale/whatever who Big Brother considered to be such a risk that they spied on them and even sent undercover cops to infiltrate them... even the Lawrences' campaign against knife crime and institutionalised racism FFS!

If they were willing to go to such lengths back then before the mega tech we have nowadays then I'll bet a pound to a penny that if you're a union leader or rep, a Momentum organiser, a campaigner for the Palestinian cause, a stop the war coalition member, a ban the bomb member, have anything to do with Extinction Rebellion etc etc etc then you are probably being watched using mobile phone tracing and ANPR technology already!

I recall reading in The Grauniad a year or two ago that people trying to get to some or other demonstration reported that large numbers of their hired coaches were mysteriously stopped for a thorough roadside "safety examination" en route which took so long that the demo was over before they could reach it....

I doubt all of that to be honest.

Are phone locations routinely monitored, if so how? Would a forensically aware person (like anyone who watches TV) carry a traceable phone wherever they go? What if you do not drive a car? Even if you do, so what?
Doubt all you like, no skin off my nose. Phones are tracked by triangulation to the masts. Very easy in urban areas, less so in the sticks.

There was a programme on mainstream TV which showed how real forensic analysis worked. It was nothing like the fictional forensic TV.
I know. Mrs SC67 works for the police. She's a forensic scientist.

Doubt all you like, no skin off my nose. Phones are tracked by triangulation to the masts. Very easy in urban areas, less so in the sticks.

I know. Mrs SC67 works for the police. She's a forensic scientist.
I know phones can be tracked, my question was are all phones tracked all the time?

Are all phones registered to a known user?

What about people who do not drive, or use a car that they are not the registered keeper of, or use a stolen car?

Is the presence of a phone in a triangulated location proof that the owner was there? Is the presence of a car proof that the registered keeper was driving?

Your Mrs will, no doubt, answer those questions.

The authority for mobile phone tracking is quite stringent in the uk. The risk assessment needed is very thorough, and can be subject to scrutiny later.

I have asked for mobile phone tracking authority for missing persons graded as high risk, and also wanted persons for serious offences.

The authority for mobile phone tracking is quite stringent in the uk. The risk assessment needed is very thorough, and can be subject to scrutiny later.

I have asked for mobile phone tracking authority for missing persons graded as high risk, and also wanted persons for serious offences.
So there is no routine tracking of all mobile phones?

advertisement

Back