advertisement

Point and Shoot Advice

oldius

Manchester City, dogs, family and food.
Good morning. My daughter is interested in a 35mm point and shoot camera for her birthday but I have no idea about cameras so I am looking for some advice.
The criteria is: simple, portable, new or used and somewhere around £150. I thought everyone was digital now but, apparently, the cool people are developing film!

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Whilst a refurbished Trip is a lovely thing, the red flag will pop up all too easily as soon as the light drops low and it has no inbuilt flash

Personally I wouldn't spend £150 on the camera body, but would include a selection of film making it a decent gift.

Keeping the budget to around £50 for the camera, I'd took at the Olympus XA range (or my choice would be the Ricoh FF9) - Then chuck in 5 rolls of film and include the processing as well and that should take you to about £150

I'd look for a Yashica T4, T4D or T5 or a Contax T2 if your budget will stretch that far Superb Zeiss T* lenses A Contax TVS is also a nice thing

Gave one to each of my girls but now all sold on for way more than they cost new

eddie

If small and pocketable is a consideration, i'd investigate the Olympus XA cameras. They are amazingly small, sensible plastic case that means you can stick them in a bag without the lens getting bashed, and there's a range of more/less features in the different models. I had an XA and an XA2. The XA2 is cheap and amazing.

Whilst a refurbished Trip is a lovely thing, the red flag will pop up all too easily as soon as the light drops low and it has no inbuilt flash

Personally I wouldn't spend £150 on the camera body, but would include a selection of film making it a decent gift.

Keeping the budget to around £50 for the camera, I'd took at the Olympus XA range (or my choice would be the Ricoh FF9) - Then chuck in 5 rolls of film and include the processing as well and that should take you to about £150

I've had both the Trip and the FF9. Whilst the FF9 is a great little camera, the lens isn't nearly as good as the Trip's. As for flash, the inbuilt flash on the FF9 is pretty puny. A small separate flash that you can slide into the Trip's hotshoe will give much better results.

How about a re-furbished Olympus Trip 35? We had one & loved it - also doesn't need batteries

If it's cool you want, the refurbished ones available through ebay come in striking colours (yellow, orange, green):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25481404...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

I have no connection with the seller, and others are available at similar or cheaper prices

That yellow one in the link is pretty damn cool :)

I still have the original (very boring, black) one I bought in Amsterdam back in 1979.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just looked at the price of Ricoh GR-1s. I bought mine new in 1999 for £180. Now they are going for £350-450 !

I'd look for a Yashica T4, T4D or T5 or a Contax T2 if your budget will stretch that far Superb Zeiss T* lenses A Contax TVS is also a nice thing

Gave one to each of my girls but now all sold on for way more than they cost new

eddie

Contax T2’s go for close to a grand now because one of the Kardashians was seen with one on instagram.

I have a Yashica T3 and would recommend it - great Zeiss lens and within budget. Not pretty or especially light mind you, but a good point and shoot all things considered, with good lens, meter, and autofocus.

I'd avoid rangefinders, manual focus cameras and especially zone focusing cameras if it's her first dabble at film photography as these might put her off the hobby for good.

EDIT - too late :)

advertisement

Back