advertisement

PMC result6 - experiences and thoughts?

simon g

Older, wiser but no longer retired
I'm considering having a play with active 'speakers. The PMC result6 look interesting, although they are clearly aimed at the studio market, for near-field monitoring.

Anyone any experience with them in a domestic setting?

I'd be listening at around 2.5m from each speaker (at apex of triangle), with speakers around 2m apart, each speaker around 30 cms from rear boundary, in a room 5m long by 3.25, wide, firing down the room. Typical lounge type environment; plenty of soft furnishings, etc.

I'd be driving them with my Moon 380D using the variable XLR out. I've no real interest in wireless or the likes and I really can't be bothered by much in the way of sophisticated EQ capabilities.

Any alternatives to suggest; around the £2-3K mark (new or ex-dem)? The Kef active 50s are an obvious choice, but I just cannot abide their looks!

Not bought but i have had communications with them a while ago. They will email you back, their signature has a telephone number you can call them on IIRC.

May I recommend the AE 1 active. In piano black and matching stands they are good to look at. They produce a very big sound and have great control over transients. They go very loud without harshness and even deep organ notes sound impressive. I am very pleased with mine.

I'm considering having a play with active 'speakers. The PMC result6 look interesting, although they are clearly aimed at the studio market, for near-field monitoring.

Anyone any experience with them in a domestic setting?

I'd be listening at around 2.5m from each speaker (at apex of triangle), with speakers around 2m apart, each speaker around 30 cms from rear boundary, in a room 5m long by 3.25, wide, firing down the room. Typical lounge type environment; plenty of soft furnishings, etc.

I'd be driving them with my Moon 380D using the variable XLR out. I've no real interest in wireless or the likes and I really can't be bothered by much in the way of sophisticated EQ capabilities.

Any alternatives to suggest; around the £2-3K mark (new or ex-dem)? The Kef active 50s are an obvious choice, but I just cannot abide their looks!

What speakers do you use at the moment?
There are plenty of options for that kind of money. Genelec and unity audio being a couple.

What speakers do you use at the moment?
There are plenty of options for that kind of money. Genelec and unity audio being a couple.

I use Scansonic MB1s, which I've had for a couple of years and they're not going anywhere! The actives would be for experimenting with.

The attraction of the PMCs is that they're visually acceptable domestically (to me, at least) and they come from a company that has a respected presence in the domestic market. Plus they're quite straightforward and front ported.

I was just wondering if anyone has any direct experience of them? I'll take a look at the Genelecs; any specific models that you think may be suitable?

My speakers are these https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/digidesign-rm2
They were made by PMC for Digidesign, but are no longer in production.
They look similar to the result6 in some ways, particularly the bass driver and cabinet construction with front exit transmission line.
The RM2 is a decent speaker that uses good quality Hypex amplifiers, but the drive units are only basic, so ultimate performance is restricted by this.

I’ve changed the mid/bass and tweeters in my speakers with high quality SB Acoustics units and their performance is now very good like that of a high end standmount.

I’ve had a little pair of Genelec 8010a’s at the same time and they were amazing for their size and cost. I also heard the Genelec 8020, 8030 and 8040. I would choose these over the PMC’s.
The very large PMC’s are great speakers but very costly.

Thanks. I notice you did post a link to highendaudio in Holland. Have you ever bought from them? I've seen some kit on there, but I can't see any address, so have a concrn that the site is a scam site perhaps?

I bought my Line Magnetic amp from them year and a half back. Totally legit and very helpful. They are a 2-man band or something like that but nice, honest and friendly

I bought my Line Magnetic amp from them year and a half back. Totally legit and very helpful. They are a 2-man band or something like that but nice, honest and friendly

I have just sent them the money for an amp today so will be able to report back how it goes for me.

I am from London but living in Germany and bought my amp from them while in Germany. So it was European voltage but should work fine in the UK

Thanks. Have read varying reports about 220v tube amps in the UK. Lot of outlay for potential problems, anyone?

advertisement

Back