advertisement

PMC - new studio monitor range, active, DSP.

AndyU

pfm Member
I haven’t got the space, or more importantly, the moolah for them,
but I would like a 15” bass in my face.

They look cool but also a but 90’s plastic to me? Idk would love to put my ears on one with the dome mids.

Trying to catch up with ATC, maybe?

They do look interesting, not sure on the looks but like the near field and sub(s) matching idea. Not cheap though!

I think PMC are in or are going in a different direction. ATC seem to be on a continued course of offering full analogue class a systems whereas PMC have introduced dsp/eq tech and have embraced class d.

That said I like both brands.

I’ve only recently heard the two two.6s (now discontinued) and they did grow on me when comparing to the ATC SCM25As, in a room at the same time via a switch box. But I do recall being somewhat blown away and scared hearing the larger main monitors back at a Bristol show when they were showcasing 5.1, with dvd as a source, so back around 2005 (?). The bass and dynamics were insane! I was very disappointed when I got home and dug the same dvd out to compare lol

The leader for active DSP based studio monitors at the moment is probably Genelec with their 8331s, which are basically an updated point sort type design with fancy DSP and lots of options for inputs, room tuning etc. It looks like PMC are applying that sort of DSP approach to a more conventional speaker design whilst hanging onto their transmission line approach. Pricing looks a bit steep to me, so I think they are definitely chasing the institutions rather than the smaller studios.

advertisement

Back