advertisement

PMC DB1 Gold

toecutter

pfm Member
What kind of speakers are these?
I know they are manufactured in the UK.

I spoke with a hifi retailer who told me nowadays Naim is paired with PMC DB1 Gold.
Are these any good?
Speakers have a steep price.

The PMC's are they better sounding compared to old ES11 or ES14 from Epos?
Suitable with Naim?

PMC DB1s were really nice. Not as nice as ES14 or ES11 though, to my ears. However, no driver spares are available for Epos any longer so if you haven't already got them, the PMC would be a safer long term bet

Yeah, I understand there are no parts available for Epos speakers.
I haven't got any of them yet the ES11 or ES14.
It's difficult to find good specimens and no sellers seem to ship abroad.

PMC are they a popular brand in UK?
Do they have a good reputation among hifi sellers in electronic stores?

I use the DB1i with old Exposure amps, I use them as monitors and sit pretty close and I think they are stunning.
I believe the Gold version has a improved tweeter.
I use Partington speaker stands but I think you can plonk them just about anywhere. I am very happy with mine.

I have some DB1i's

They sound great, they are in my AV setup now, still sound v good.

Give them a bit of space, not too close to the wall.

The Gold version is something they made about ten years ago because they had a lot of parts left over from previous versions of the DB1.

DB1, DB1+ DB1i, then DB1 Gold (which was very much like a DB1+.

PMC is mostly sold professionally. They are good speakers but they priced themselves out of the home market a long time ago. I'd look at a KEF or a Monitor Audio instead. The PSB Alpha 5 is a comparable speaker that retails for only $350. I've owned all of this stuff and I'm shocked at how close the PSB is to the one or two thousand dollar speakers. They scale up wonderfully with better amps. And if you ever put a tube amp on them it will knock your socks off.

The Gold version is something they made about ten years ago because they had a lot of parts left over from previous versions of the DB1.

I think the Gold series came out about 4 years ago.

(Gold series part of 25 yr company anniversary, company started in 1991)

I bought some DB1 Gold when they came out and thought they were awful, sounded ok in the nice big shop but at home they chuffed like a bloody steam train.

advertisement

Back