advertisement

Plumbing problem

onlyconnect

pfm Member
I have a Mira shower. It has a horizontal bar with a tap on one end and heat mixer on the other. This is now dripping from the middle. Got a plumber in. I was thinking, washer or tighten something up.

But without even opening it he's quoted for two new "cartridges". Expensive.

Is this the only way or is it worth having a poke around to look for a worn washer or a thing to tighten up?

Tim

The 'cartridges' may be a reference to the ceramic washers. Yes, they're expensive, unfortunately.

Sometimes, the drip can be caused by bit of grit / limescale stuck in the valve and they clear after a day but IME that's rare.

The ‘diynot’ forum is good for this sort of stuff - just ignore the odd few grumpy contributors who don’t like to give any help to ... well,anyone really.

I had a similar query a while back, and the consensus was that I should save the hassle and buy a new one.

Many of the shower manufacturers have "eBay shops" where they sell new items in plain cardboard boxes at bargain prices (maybe discontinued models but the same mechanism inside).

That's how I replaced a couple of showers at less cost than the replacement parts to repair the old ones.

advertisement

Back