advertisement

Please suggest monitors for bedroom listening

Tim's Dad

pfm Member
My son is currently listening to music on his Moto G mobile using the built-in speaker. Despite the music not being to my taste, I'm inclined to take pity on the poor lad and buy him something for Christmas to plug the phone into while in his bedroom.

I'm looking to spend around £100 max. It occurs to me that we'll probably get the best sound for pound connecting the headphone out directly into small active speakers/monitors, especially if these are well chosen and possibly bought second hand.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mark

I think a decent little amplifier (Rotel, NAD, etc.) and pair of speakers would be better. 20-30W into small JPW or Wharfedale monitors can give a good sound, and probably easier to connect other stuff too. £40-60 amp, £15-30 speakers, £5 interconnect, £10-15 cables.

My son is currently listening to music on his Moto G mobile using the built-in speaker. Despite the music not being to my taste, I'm inclined to take pity on the poor lad and buy him something for Christmas to plug the phone into while in his bedroom.

I'm looking to spend around £100 max. It occurs to me that we'll probably get the best sound for pound connecting the headphone out directly into small active speakers/monitors, especially if these are well chosen and possibly bought second hand.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mark

If he's like most teenagers, having his phone tethered by wire to anything will not please him. I'd look at something that takes Bluetooth input, assuming his mobile is equipped to send audio via that option? Lots of little self contained speakers are of that ilk.

Good point about using bluetooth. You're right he's probably going to want to use the phone as well a fair bit of the time. I can't imagine not wanting decent stereo but good tonal balance, a non-fatiguing sound with reasonable detail, and convenience are probably more important.

I know nothing about wireless speakers, but a bit of research on the net shows the Braven 570 looking good from the reviews.

Anyone else?

Mark

We bought one of these for my daughter to take to Uni - but got it in the Amazon black Friday deals - might appear again in the current deals?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FPN150Q/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

It gets lots of good reviews.

There are, as I've noted before, LOTS of variations on this theme, so keep an eye out.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks very much for the help.

After following up further review links I've settled on the Cambridge Audio Minx Go.

advertisement

Back