advertisement

Please can you recommend a cheap but decent little speaker?

Marchbanks

Hat and Beard member
I’m looking for a pair to replace my LS3/5a clones in the kitchen which are being moved one step up the pecking order. They will be placed on angled wall mounts pointing down slightly into the room. Roughly the same size, or smaller. Second hand is an option, but no more than £100. Thanks!

I’ve found a similar thread from not too long back (I conributed to it, which is embarrassing.) If a mod wants to delete this one, please go ahead.

Yep, maybe I posted in that thread too, but my vote goes for old-style Mission 780SE, or 760i as a 2nd choice.

Small Pioneer bookshelves cost $100 and are quite good. SP-BS22 LR, Andrew Jones designed. I use them in the office and am very happy witb them.

JPW Mini Monitors - lots going on ebay for around £40. Mine are still going strong after 20 years and are a remarkably good value at this price point. Most are going to be tatty now but the black finish is easy enough to buff up to an acceptable standard.

I got a pair of Q Acoustics 3020 for about a ton in Richer Sounds Christmas sale to use for testing amps and other old kit and they really are very nice.

We use Mission/Denon Sc M50 in the bedroom, JPW mini monitors (Denon badged) in the library, and both are really great and cope with bookshelf mounting really well. We use Q Acoustics 2010 in our 'garden/BBQ' system as they can cope with a bit of rain. Would be happy with all of these.

Thanks everyone. The Q 2010i fits the bill in terms of size (the 3020 is too deep.) I’ll keep an eye out for a second hand pair (or maybe simply buy new from Q for £100.)

The JPW Mini Monitors are OK, but the similar Gold Monitors are better in that they have a very nice Peerless soft dome tweeter, instead of the cheap Audax tweeter.

The Mordaunt Short MS 05s were cracking little speakers. I've just had a look on ebay and there aren't any, though there are a few MS 10s.

advertisement

Back