advertisement

Planet 2000 cdp fix: redux!

I thought it read a disc from the inside to the outside. I think this is so. So a short 30m album will have a thick vacant band on the periphery of the cd-?
Correct, which is why music CDs start out at circa 500rpm and gradually drop down to circa 200rpm during play (i.e. the whirr).

Yes, you are right - inside to outside, sorry.

chassis crack = crack in white plastic sled rail. Common issue on kss-213 as I highlighted in your original post - even a few years from new (back when I was a repair tech) it cropped up sometimes.

If you haven’t already, put a drop of oil into the disc spin motor - motor drying out is also a common problem.

well done on fixing it :) Personally, I’d still burn £11 on a spare non-original mech, at least then you know in another 20 years you can fix it again…lord alone knows what they’ll cost in another 20 years…

Remember, different density’s of CDs exist depending on how long they are - so 20 mins in on a 60 minute album does not mean you will hit the bump at 20 mins in on a 90 minute album.

Though that's only true for orange book (cd-r's) not red book, and I'm even not sure if anything over 74' or 80' is fully orange book compliant.

Constant linear velocity too, with Red Book Compact Disc standard, Philips specified 1.2 to 1.4m/sec (yes, metres per sec) hence the high 500rpm at start of disc gradually slowing to circa 200 near end ('circa', as the end point varies depending upon length of programme).

According to Wikipedia, the CD standard allows up to 79.57 minutes of digital audio on one disc, or 99 tracks maximum (whichever comes first).

A good test in order to determine whether or not a given player is exhibiting excessive spin motor noise is to play the last track first with the volume turned fully down, should be pretty quiet once play begins.

advertisement

Back