advertisement

Placebo

Well, presumably with one of their CDs and an blank one as the control.

(sorry)

I'm no expert, but "Placebo" and "Meds" are enjoyed a lot in this household. Meds was our 8 year old son's music of choice to listen to for a good while - not quite sure what that's done to his mind....

I reckon Meds is the best -- it's certainly the only album of theirs i stil listen to, just the occaisional track off other ones..
The "Once More With Feeling" best of (or possibly singles collection, not sure) is a fairly good all round view.

Nancy Boy is a good song. So you just need 79p from i tunes.

Kevin

Thanks for the hints.

I had a good listen and I think they are a bit weak. Songs seem ok-ish but there's no real drive in the later material. It chugs in places but as they develop as a band it starts to feel very derivative very quickly a shame as they clearly know what they are doing but they soon take directions that are predictable and almost on a road map... The most recent stuff is really rather unsurprising to me. I also don't like the near-constant psychoanalysis that seems to creep in. Good in parts... lots of good subject material but what is holding them back?

Thanks for the hints.

I had a good listen and I think they are a bit weak. Songs seem ok-ish but there's no real drive in the later material. It chugs in places but as they develop as a band it starts to feel very derivative very quickly a shame as they clearly know what they are doing but they soon take directions that are predictable and almost on a road map... The most recent stuff is really rather unsurprising to me. I also don't like the near-constant psychoanalysis that seems to creep in. Good in parts... lots of good subject material but what is holding them back?

Yeah I think that's a fair enough assessment. I prefer Meds but mainly because I hadn't particularly listened to much of the old stuff beforehand so it didn't feel particularly tired.

I guess to some extent they're held back by their audience -- or perhaps Molko is just really like that -- they have such a rep for /wrist that i guess maybe they stick with it coz it just works.

Their best album by far imho is "Black Market Music" the songs are generally much stronger, sadly the later albums whilst having moments of greatness, are a bit patchy.

Fox, thanks for bringing this up, realised I don't have the 'Placebo' debut album /goes off shopping

albiet with that missing, I do prefer the earlier stuff, but not by too much

Placebo don't actually have.
Without You I'm Nothing 98 listened to the most
Black Market Music 00 2nd to 'without you'
Sleeping With Ghosts 03 Poss the easiest to break you in..
meds 06 permenantly lives in the CD changer in the car*

*wife doesn't like 'kill me now' music so it gets more listen time in the car,
along with other KMN stuff like Muse, K's Choice, etc
Sisters of Mercy didn't get rated either, walking into '25 whores in the room next door' belting out was not a good start.. but then it's not 'take that'....

sorry, off topic there.
Without You I'm Nothing is my fave and gets my vote.
Sleeping With Ghosts is er 'tidier?' poss a good start.

regards

you could try the singles album
Once More With Feeling: The Singles 1996-2004
£5 on CD £7.95 on MP3 wtf?

advertisement

Back