advertisement

Pizza Ovens

lordsummit

Now I like pizza, like it a lot and enjoy making my own. I haven’t got a big garden to build a permanent installation, so I’m tempted by the Ooni Fyra. It’s dead simple, I’ll probably go second hand to try and get the accessories thrown in. I have read though one or two people have found it tricky to use. I’ve found a gas/pellet Uuni 3, all in good condition. Is this a better more useable piece of kit? I think the gas fired more recent ones are out of range price wise. Anyone who’s played with these got anything to suggest?

I have an Ooni Pro, I really like the large cooking area. When we first got it we decided to start cooking with the gas and then move on to the other fuels as our pizza skills progressed, however we have never bothered trying the other fuels as using gas is so convenient and the results so good. I'm total opposite when using Weber BBQ - charcoal every time. Good luck in your search.

Sorry guys, but don't waste any money.

My best pal once ran a pizza place so he learned how to do it properly. It's all in how you prepare the dough, you don't need any expensive gadgets. He uses an ordinary kitchen owen on the highest setting.

Don't ask me how he does the dough, though, I just enjoy the result.

My best pal once ran a pizza place so he learned how to do it properly. It's all in how you prepare the dough, you don't need any expensive gadgets. He uses an ordinary kitchen owen on the highest setting.

Don't ask me how he does the dough, though, I just enjoy the result.
I thought the main point of pizza ovens outdoors was the social aspect. Rather like a BBQ, you are outdoors in the sunshine (!) with family and friends, having a few drinks, the oven or BBQ is a bit of fun that just happens to produce nice food rather than the cook being locked away in the kitchen.

I agree it is all about the dough.

An alternative to using an oven to use a grill. Lot of pizzerias use grills rather than an oven.

Depending on how many pizza's I'm making I'll use a large metal handled pan and cook the dough in pan on the cooker hob first, load up the toppings and then put pan under a preheated grill. This avoids the issue that you get using a domestic oven as the base doesn't cook properly before the toppings.

This is good to know. Have you managed to make any biscuits? Or is it easy to manage the heat?

I've not done biscuits but have done other stuff like steaks using it. Controlling the heat could probably be done with the wood pellet over by keeping the front door open maybe, but it's not something I've tried as normally I'm wanting to get it as hot as possible.

I thought the main point of pizza ovens outdoors was the social aspect. Rather like a BBQ, you are outdoors in the sunshine (!) with family and friends, having a few drinks, the oven or BBQ is a bit of fun that just happens to produce nice food rather than the cook being locked away in the kitchen.

That is definitely part of it - when we've used the Uuni then the folks usually want to make their own pizzas and have fun using the Uuni.

Dough is of course important but if your household oven is not hot enough, and/or does not provide heat from below then its not going to be a good time. I have been playing this game long enough.

You can get acceptable result but same recipe so much better in a pizza oven!

Dough is of course important but if your household oven is not hot enough, and/or does not provide heat from below then its not going to be a good time. I have been playing this game long enough.

You can get acceptable result but same recipe so much better in a pizza oven!

Using the wood pellets helps as well, as it does add something extra to the taste.

171760595.sVm4zEpC.uuni1.jpg

What a kill joy!!! we've been to loads of pizza parties where an Ooni Pizza oven has been used. They make fantastic pizzas - certainly not a waste of money

It's all in how you prepare the dough

of course it is

He uses an ordinary kitchen owen on the highest setting.

proper pizza is about temperatures that far exceed those a domestic oven can achieve, and preferably a wood fired oven for the flavour.

It is entirely possible your pizza mate makes nice pizzas in his domestic oven.

I have a gas powered Ooni 12 and it's spot on.. It heats up to more than 450 degrees so cooks a pizza in about two minutes tops.. you need to keep turning the pizza or it WILL burn in 30 seconds, so do get a spinner or a couple of long tongs, but the results are fabulous. It's wonderfully crispy on the outside, soft in the middle and the toppings are all cooked as in a good pizza restaurant, I get no complaints from the family.

I'm gonna do it...

I always use a pizza dough recipe from Rick Steins Mediterranean book. Any other good ones? Anyone tried making Calzone in an Ooni?

Ooni pellet oven here.

We used bought dough initially to get used to the oven. Two variables at once, oven and dough, didnt seem very scientific. Getting the heat right took a few goes but we're OK now.

This dough from Waitrose was what we used The Best Bakes Start With Great Dough • The Northern Dough Co

Now we use the Jamie Oliver recipe in the bread maker Homemade pizza dough recipe | Jamie Oliver recipes.

This post is like middle class bingo!

We love our Ooni, I'm sure you will too.

Rob.

We have a Gozney Roccbox - marvellous thing and has paid for itself many times over and the pizza is better than any takeaway I’ve tried. We make all of our own dough…

Ours does wood (don’t bother…hard work to get hot enough) or Gas. Uses same gas as our camper so even comes on the road with us.

advertisement

Back