advertisement

pioneer pd8500 skipping sometimes

rtrt

pfm Member
Not sure if this or audio discussion is best, as i dont suppose it's really diy....

Anyway I have in front of me a pd8500 and played 1/2 dozen or so discs so far. One of them has skipped at the same point several times, but same disc plays fine on a sony portable discman I also have.

Would be good to get some pointers on cause/potential fix pls.

I'm happy enough opening electronics up and having a delve around inside, but after a bad experience a number of years ago with a portable cd, am loathe to get stuck near the lens in without some advice.

Back then i tred to clean the lens on that portable and the lens turned milky white :eek: Think it might have been some sort of tape head cleaner i used then.

I dont know how sensitive the player is to marks on the disc. If its generally playing discs ok then it does point to a fault with that one disc.

laser problems are more likely to be the rails/lubricant/cogs it mounted on. I would only lightly brush with a camera blower brush. I wouldnt be going near the lens unless its a last resort. They can be carefully swab cleaned with the right equipment but care is needed. You could try a cd brush cleaning disc.

If its playing other discs fine though its not really a laser problem. There may well be a fine flaw with that disc.

Hi Minstrel thanks for the reply.

Have quite a few more hours of playing now and I probably wasnt consistent with the discs played yesterday - skipping from song to song for favourites and also leaving the room occasionally.

Whats interesting is that i've played about 8 or 9 discs today and played each of them all the way thro. Each one has skipped forward during track 1 and then plays the rest of the disc fine. Looking at the discs - they're pretty much in pristine condition on the surface - tho 1 or 2 looked like they might be a bit cloudy.

Those same discs all play track 1 fine on the sony portable.

So reading your thoughts - it might be a problem with the rails? Is there anything specific i can look for?

I might have a camera brush somewhere - just need to go digging!

I could take some pics when i get it opened up - not sure i'll have time this weekend but should be ok next weekend.

thanks Muzz thats an interesting read.
in fact i think i'd seen that before, but not paid too much attention as i didnt 'need' the info at the time.
seems like no 7 might apply in my case - just need to get the machine opened up for a look as a next step.

It could be some dried lubricant on the rails/cogs or a number of transport issues. It depends on the mechanism and could all be quite delicate.

Its usually the manufacturers way of saying times up and they want you to buy a new one. It looks a solid unit well worth fixing though. Its the time and the money you are prepared to spend.

The problem with issues like this is knowing if its an easy fix. You may need the service manual. I have somebody that generally helps me so its all down to how much you need to keep it going.
It may be worth a very careful look to see if its anything obvious. Only blower brush the laser though. I wouldnt use fluids or any force on it. If it doesnt disturb anything check for free laser movement.

Track 1 is on the inner portion of the disc I believe so laser movement in that area will be important

oh dear can't believe Its been this long since I last thought about the 8500!

So I've been inspired to have a proper go at the skipping problem. Having opened up the machine and referred to the service manual, I can see the guide rod and what look like 3 plastic guide plates underneath the laser sled.

I've cleaned those + the rod with IPA and the skipping is still the same.

Ive not been able to find any lightweight oil locally so have just ordered some. Would i typically just lube the steel rod, or the 3 plastic plates as well?

The service manual doesn't seem to refer to mechanical maintenance, there's lots of info on electronic fettling, which seems to need an oscilloscope just to even start!

I can take pictures later if that'd help

I have two of these Reference cd players. The first one started skipping and it was gummed up rails so I cleaned and lubed them. It worked fine for a while then it started again. Cleaned and lubed again and it was ok for a while then started doing it again. I tried different lubes etc but I gave up in the end and bought another player. I've been looking for a replacement mech but they're thin on the ground and were too expensive when I did find one. They're getting on a bit now so probably not worth the effort any more.

Thanks Chops.

Have some machine oil en route (couldn't get any locally).

Interestingly I had another look this evening and can see that the laser sled is supported by the guide rod and what can only be described as a supporting plastic wheel directly under the lens.

The 'plastic guides' I mentioned above are in fact part of the motor that drives the sled, so lube there is probably a bad idea!

Taking into account that I've cleaned (though not lubed) the 2 areas that support the weight of the sled, what Chops says above and that I still have a skipping problem, makes me wonder if the lube will help.

The odd thing is that the player skips at almost exactly the same time on each disc (i tried around 6 or 7 - both old and new), on song 1 at c2.30 - c2.50, which made me think it was some sort of 'gunk' problem.

I'll take another stab at it next weekend, with the oil.

advertisement

Back