advertisement

Pinkfish Petrolheads - driving gloves?

Now, to get down to business, supplementary question, do you make machine gunning sounds at other road users?
Even though I drive an Audi I have a Mercedes Badge sticking up from the bonnet, so I can get Juke and Quashqai drivers in the crosshairs. I also shout chocks away every time I leave the lights.

Cheers BB

until I had a car with heated wheel, it seemed like a silly option to me. I'd had a few cars with heated seats... which are fab in winter. Once I learned my e60 BMW (545) had the heated wheel option, I had to *find* the switch. OMG it is superb in winter. Car lives outside, when it's been chilly the car's interior can be just a few degrees when climbing in and starting up - brrr. Heated seats warm up quicly but your hands take ten mins or so to warm up the wheel while the car's interior temp increases, and it can take 20-30 mins for a normal wheel to no longer pulling heat from hands. I sometimes would wear windfleece gloves with grip dots, reasonable control and better insulation so hands retain the heat while the wheel slowly warms up.

Cue the heated wheel, up to temp in less than a kilometre, better contact and tactile connection with your car - it's a safety item! Very disappointed our new(er) car doesnt have the heated wheel option. If you're ever faced with an option list, take the heated wheel... unless you live in Miami or Brisbane or similar. They really are the bomb.

One guy who worked for me used to put a 3kW fan heater in his sons' car on cold mornings; you could see steam rising from the windows if he overslept.

Now, to get down to business, supplementary question, do you make machine gunning sounds at other road users?
Reminds me of a VW Beetle I used to own, would backfire randomly and loudly causing the citizens of Hounslow to dive behind waste paper bins and suchlike in the High Street ( a long time ago, when you could drive down it).

I heard that the Quartic steering wheel on some Allegros was the result of an early foray into heated steering wheels.

I've never driven a car where the steering wheel seemed more loosely connected to the wheels than the Allegro. The first corner I took when driving one I nearly crashed as it just sailed straight on.

I've never driven a car where the steering wheel seemed more loosely connected to the wheels than the Allegro. The first corner I took when driving one I nearly crashed as it just sailed straight on.
You have, I presume then, never driven a 1970s Ford Zephyr. We had one, bench seat, column gearchange and all. We nicknamed it 'The Mattress' because that's what it felt like you were driving.

advertisement

Back