advertisement

Pinkfish Petrolheads - driving gloves?

In a Bond novel, I think it's Goldfinger, while driving, Bond philosophizes over the fact that men wearing hats are worse drivers. And that's over 60 years ago.

Strangely enough, in the 1969 movie, 'On Her Majesty...' one can se Bond wearing a rather silly hat while driving o_O

anyone experienced the crack chilling of air conditioned and ventilated seats? quite useful in hot weather

I have indeed. My old Mondeo had them and they were.............weird!

As to a heated steering wheel, i always viewed this as a silly, pointless gadget, right up to the point when I bought a car that had one. I now consider it as essential as air conditioning.

I have indeed. My old Mondeo had them and they were.............weird!

As to a heated steering wheel, i always viewed this as a silly, pointless gadget, right up to the point when I bought a car that had one. I now consider it as essential as air conditioning.

The ventilated seats are great for me, at the same time my navigator usually has the seat heater on.

Never felt the need for heated steering wheel, a hat, gloves or a car coat. Yet.

Can imagine the wheel's good if your hands are a bit creaky, mine used to get bad after a couple of hours.

Does anyone drive whil wearing headgear?
I have been known to wear something on my head (see profile picture for details).

On a more serious note, I use a pair of Sealskinz waterproof All Weather Insulated Gloves when I'm driving my Triumph Vitesse Convertible on a chilly day, they have a decent level of grip for the steering wheel.

I can’t help assuming that anyone who needs gloves while driving any car with a roof built in the last 40 years or so probably wears a coat while driving too, and that’s not good.

Or, in my case, upper half clad with T-shirt, pullover, padded gilet, fleece, along with scarf/neck cuff and beany, but my hands are still like blocks of ice, and that's what I'm trying to get away from.

You may well be in the flush of youth, and don't feel the cold, but I'm not.

Or, in my case, upper half clad with T-shirt, pullover, padded gilet, fleece, along with scarf/neck cuff and beany, but my hands are still like blocks of ice, and that's what I'm trying to get away from.

You may well be in the flush of youth, and don't feel the cold, but I'm not.
Well, 59 years old, but just lucky I suppose. Using my hands all day on reasonably heavy work might help I suppose.
Good luck!

My wife was very sarcastic when I told her my new Volvo had heated seats. Three miles later she thought they were wonderful.
I'll not go back to unheated seats.

My wife was very sarcastic when I told her my new Volvo had heated seats. Three miles later she thought they were wonderful.
I'll not go back to unheated seats.

There is not the tiniest chance my wife would go back to a car without heated seats. Her current car also has a heated steering wheel which she also likes, although I've never used it.

Or even just a car with a heater. I was literally today years-old when I realised anyone had ever been bothered by the temperature of the steering wheel. Maybe if you live at the North Pole?
I had a Motolita steering wheel in my Triumph Spitfire, it was mainly metal with a thin band of wood front and rear but the metal was still all round the outside of the rim like this one. It was cold in winter but there was no way I was wearing driving gloves.

If I ever manage to own a Caterham or similar, and my aging bod allowed me to drive it on cold, dry winter days, I ‘might’ just try some driving gloves.

Most new cars have touch screen controls for at least a few functions, and they’re often crap even with fingertip operation, so any gloves won’t make that any easier.

There is not the tiniest chance my wife would go back to a car without heated seats. Her current car also has a heated steering wheel which she also likes, although I've never used it.
If I had to choose I’d do without heated seats and keep the heated steering wheel. Not as a passenger though!

Last edited:
Most new cars have touch screen controls for at least a few functions, and they’re often crap even with fingertip operation, so any gloves won’t make that any easier.

Since I'm the OP;

I don't have a "new car", though. And I specifically said I wanted them for operating steering wheel controls.

Since I'm the OP;

I don't have a "new car", though. And I specifically said I wanted them for operating steering wheel controls.

Obviously there’s going to be a trade off between material thickness and warmth against dexterity. That’ll be a very personal choice, as how your fingers and hands feel the cold is unique to you.

Maybe start with a visit to a cycling shop. Spring gloves are thin, and some even allow use of touch screens on smartphones etc.

My car’s heater chucks out warm air within about two miles.

until I had a car with heated wheel, it seemed like a silly option to me. I'd had a few cars with heated seats... which are fab in winter. Once I learned my e60 BMW (545) had the heated wheel option, I had to *find* the switch. OMG it is superb in winter. Car lives outside, when it's been chilly the car's interior can be just a few degrees when climbing in and starting up - brrr. Heated seats warm up quicly but your hands take ten mins or so to warm up the wheel while the car's interior temp increases, and it can take 20-30 mins for a normal wheel to no longer pulling heat from hands. I sometimes would wear windfleece gloves with grip dots, reasonable control and better insulation so hands retain the heat while the wheel slowly warms up.

Cue the heated wheel, up to temp in less than a kilometre, better contact and tactile connection with your car - it's a safety item! Very disappointed our new(er) car doesnt have the heated wheel option. If you're ever faced with an option list, take the heated wheel... unless you live in Miami or Brisbane or similar. They really are the bomb.

My last few cars have had heated seats, I find them annoying after a while but they are nice when I have a bout of backache.

Mrs BB is still moaning about not having a heated steering wheel or windscreen, which she had in her last two Fiesta STs.

I had a test drive of a Hyundai Tucson a few years ago, it was a red hot summers day. It was equipped with ventilated seats, which were superb. I’d like them in the future as I don’t like driving with aircon blowing at me, much nicer through the seat.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back