advertisement

Pink Triangle PT Too options

Jimin

pfm Member
Hello all. I recently picked up the aforementioned turntable at a decent price from a local seller. It has an rb250 arm, a solid lid and the PSU works fine.

It needs setting up, however, and I'm thinking about options - specifically around upgrades. I've read a bit online about Vector upgrades but it's hard to find anything specific.

I could get in touch with the Funk Firm but wondered if anyone had any experience or suggestions with regard to breathing new life into a tired, but still quality, piece of kit?

I'm in no rush - actually packed the stereo away recently and am making do with Spotify through a soundbar, surprisingly effective! But I love my vinyl and will return to it at some point.

Thanks!

If you haven’t already look on True Point for spares and ideas - carbon fibre arm boards, motor/psu.
http://www.true-point.audio/

Check the PSU for leaking caps and have a go over the suspension make sure it’s smooth to adjust and bounces evenly.

Deck deservers a better arm than a Rega 250 but good enough to get started with. Often saw Helius, Alphason and PU3 back in the day, later on SME but mainly on the Anni.

Last edited:
https://www.true-point.audio/

Browse through the above and contact them for advice and spares, they are helpful and friendly.

Great deck you have there.

Check the bearing is perfect and have it rebuilt if not.

Caps on the PSU as per Amber Audio post.

If the PSU is fine then the tri-drive option 1 will reap the best improvements first.

Funds permitting then a better PSU and motor all the way to a full rebuild of the plinth/deck close to Anniversary spec.

Andrew at Brady’s is probably the oracle re Pink tables and a really decent bloke to deal with.

Although I didn’t send my table to Charles at True Point Audio, he is also very affable and helpful.

The Zeta tonearm was also a favoured combo with Pink Triangle decks, I wonder how the new Alphason HR 200S and Supatrac tonearm would perform not forgetting the Audio Origami PU7.

https://www.true-point.audio/

Browse through the above and contact them for advice and spares, they are helpful and friendly.

Great deck you have there.

Check the bearing is perfect and have it rebuilt if not.

Caps on the PSU as per Amber Audio post.

If the PSU is fine then the tri-drive option 1 will reap the best improvements first.

Funds permitting then a better PSU and motor all the way to a full rebuild of the plinth/deck close to Anniversary spec.

I wonder how much a full plinth etc rebuild to Anniversary spec would cost? Serious question - I'm watching for a decent Export to come up for sale - I used to have one bought from new and now looking seriously at options to find another.

The Anniversary is a very different deck to a PT TOO or Export. e.g. the plinth is hewn from solid wood so it is comparatively heavier, the motor is mounted on the subchassis. If you want an Anniversary keep a look out for a used one, though most people who sell one seem to regret it afterwards! I've just had my 30 year old Anni serviced at Truepoint - I replaced the original PSU with their Midas unit to great effect. If you have a TOO or Export it is worth asking Charles at Truepoint what upgrade options are available.

The Anniversary is a very different deck to a PT TOO or Export. e.g. the plinth is hewn from solid wood so it is comparatively heavier, the motor is mounted on the subchassis. If you want an Anniversary keep a look out for a used one, though most people who sell one seem to regret it afterwards! I've just had my 30 year old Anni serviced at Truepoint - I replaced the original PSU with their Midas unit to great effect. If you have a TOO or Export it is worth asking Charles at Truepoint what upgrade options are available.

l have a True Pointed PT Export GTI- it sounds amazing and Charles at True Point is very helpful- such that l will send it to him for even more upgrades, he can service, give advice on any thing PT or Michell.

Good luck.

If you give Andrew a call at Brady’s then he’ll get the deck set up for you without fuss or unnecessary expense, and sounding great. The RB250 works very well on a Pink. By all means send it to Truepoint or Funk but it certainly be a lot more costly. Funk are often not the easiest to communicate with, either. I’ve had several old PTs over the years and they’re a delight if you can live with the very boingy suspension. A friend (whose deck I sold for him) also had one that he took to a very high level with Charles at Truepoint so if you’re feeling spendy it could be well worth it. Certainly my friend’s deck was the equal or better of most of the high end decks that I’ve heard.

If you give Andrew a call at Brady’s then he’ll get the deck set up for you without fuss or unnecessary expense, and sounding great. The RB250 works very well on a Pink. By all means send it to Truepoint or Funk but it certainly be a lot more costly. Funk are often not the easiest to communicate with, either. I’ve had several old PTs over the years and they’re a delight if you can live with the very boingy suspension. A friend (whose deck I sold for him) also had one that he took to a very high level with Charles at Truepoint so if you’re feeling spendy it could be well worth it. Certainly my friend’s deck was the equal or better of most of the high end decks that I’ve heard.

l believe l am now the owner of the deck in question......:D

About fifteen years ago I sent my Too to Funk for a full Vector upgrade, which made a huge improvement to all aspects of the performance.

Funk haven't advertised this service on their website for years, but I think it's still worth checking with Arthur whether it is still available.

Alex

I guess a PT Too is what I'll aim for - I'll keep a lookout for a decent one coming up for sale

I guess a PT Too is what I'll aim for - I'll keep a lookout for a decent one coming up for sale
If you see an Anniversary though, do consider it, not buying one when I was in the market for a new turntable is one of my biggest regrets, truly a magnificent player

Central Audio have one listed.

Some PT Too started out as a PT1 and were factory upgraded, my one was sent back to Arthur and done as a birthday present by my girlfriend 30 years back.

Interesting responses, thanks all. I was glad, when I went to look at the deck, that I Googled the instructions before trying to set it up. The inverted bearing (which looks fine, the platter spins smoothly) was interesting, when it came to removing the platter. I didn't switch on the psu before connecting it up either.

Unfortunately the owner broke one of the hinges but that's the only issue. It does need setting up - the belt drops off when a heavier album is on the platter.

I have a weakness for suspended decks, despite their flaws. My father had a venerable Thorens 150 with the agricultural looking arm, playing through a Leak Stereo 30 and unspectacular speakers, and it sounded great.

Interesting responses, thanks all. I was glad, when I went to look at the deck, that I Googled the instructions before trying to set it up. The inverted bearing (which looks fine, the platter spins smoothly) was interesting, when it came to removing the platter. I didn't switch on the psu before connecting it up either.

Unfortunately the owner broke one of the hinges but that's the only issue. It does need setting up - the belt drops off when a heavier album is on the platter.

I have a weakness for suspended decks, despite their flaws. My father had a venerable Thorens 150 with the agricultural looking arm, playing through a Leak Stereo 30 and unspectacular speakers, and it sounded great.
Might need a new belt if this one is slightly stretched or a clean of the belt and where it runs on the platter and a dusting of talc on the clean belt, did you get the accessories - little flask of talc for the belt, syringe of oil and suspension adjuster?

Might need a new belt if this one is slightly stretched or a clean of the belt and where it runs on the platter and a dusting of talc on the clean belt, did you get the accessories - little flask of talc for the belt, syringe of oil and suspension adjuster?

Yes it might just need a new belt, you're right. I didn't receive any accessories with the deck, unfortunately.

About fifteen years ago I sent my Too to Funk for a full Vector upgrade, which made a huge improvement to all aspects of the performance.

Funk haven't advertised this service on their website for years, but I think it's still worth checking with Arthur whether it is still available.

Alex

Did the Vector upgrade swap the AC for a DC motor?

advertisement

Back