advertisement

Pink Floyd ....

The Division Bell rocks my boat, more than any other Floyd album. When I first listened to it, I thought it was just Ok but it really grew on me over time

Gilmour was scheduled to appear on the David Letterman show about a week after Rick Wright died. Instead of cancelling, he went on anyway and did "Remember a Day". I can't find it on Youtube, but it was a good performance and a nice gesture.

The Division Bell is a great album even though the PF police will probably disagree. I don’t get bogged down in the Roger Waters thing, as good as he is, I just listen to the music

Gilmour was scheduled to appear on the David Letterman show about a week after Rick Wright died. Instead of cancelling, he went on anyway and did "Remember a Day". I can't find it on Youtube, but it was a good performance and a nice gesture.
Was it Letterman or Jools? This is from that time anyway:

Was it Letterman or Jools? This is from that time anyway:

They don't show Jools on US broadcast TV on weeknights...

My memory says it was Letterman, but it could have been Conan O'Brien, since those were the only late-night shows I was watching then.

...kind of like aimlessly tuning around a radio dial but failing to find anything of interest
Interesting description. Used as an effect a lot by RW.
Must admit I listened to Final Cut a couple of times recently. Only listened to it about 3 or 4 times after buying it as I was disappointed. The sound / mix is extremely desolate and for some reason now brings me to tears...don't know why (emotional response rather than anything else). Fave is probably DSOTM or Meddle. Don't really like the Barrett stuff, too off-the-wall for me.

I'm a bit of a fan and really enjoy all of their albums, roughly divided into 4 eras, the 'Syd' era with the psychedelic influences and sounds from Piper to Meedle (yes I realise Syd didn't play on some of these) the (real) Pink Floyd era, from Meddle to DSOTM, then the 'Waters' era, Animals through to the Final Cut, all the lyrical content is penned by Waters and the album subject matter is all pretty autobiographical, i've read quite a few times how RW really only used the rest of the band members like session musicians during these times, I would include the Pros and Cons in this.
Then we have Pink Floyd without Waters which is OK, I still enjoy songs but they definitely lost something when they hadn't Waters to write the lyrics.
I actually prefer the Pros and Cons, The Final Cut and Amused to Death to any of the previous work or anything produced since.

Another thread I’ll need to read through while listening to some choonz! :D

For me Meddle, DSOM, WYWH and The Wall are all brilliant albums in there own right. I’ve been a long time fan, but not so much of their much earlier stuff, a bit to ‘obscure’ for me!

I take take it @Tony L you are not a fan, a bit harsh I thought. I don’t know if you have ever tried writing a song, it’s not easy and I for one admire Rodger Waters both as an artist and as Lyricist. Much of his best work is relatable and dare I say, ‘time’less. I mean, Comfortably Numb is simply a sublime bit of writing.

I was lucky enough to have seen them live twice, Wembley Stadium and Earls Court, such pioneering shows that just blew my mind and maybe the reason why I work in events and have done so for over 20 years.

I take take it @Tony L you are not a fan, a bit harsh I thought.

Maybe, though I’d say my ever-changing perspective is that of a fan. FWIW I do have a copy of everything up to and including The Wall. If you just responded to my first post written many years ago it might be worth reading the other more recent ones!

Another thread I’ll need to read through while listening to some choonz! :D

For me Meddle, DSOM, WYWH and The Wall are all brilliant albums in there own right. I’ve been a long time fan, but not so much of their much earlier stuff, a bit to ‘obscure’ for me!

I take take it @Tony L you are not a fan, a bit harsh I thought. I don’t know if you have ever tried writing a song, it’s not easy and I for one admire Rodger Waters both as an artist and as Lyricist. Much of his best work is relatable and dare I say, ‘time’less. I mean, Comfortably Numb is simply a sublime bit of writing.

I was lucky enough to have seen them live twice, Wembley Stadium and Earls Court, such pioneering shows that just blew my mind and maybe the reason why I work in events and have done so for over 20 years.
I also saw them at Empire Pool Wembley, Animals tour, prior to that, Knebworth, early seventies, DSOTM tour, they also covered WYWH and Animals, Echoes as an encore, outdoors and with a massive firework show including their projector screen and crashing airplane, awesome show, and all for a fiver. Yep £5.00!

I also have everything upto and inc The Wall. I like some of the albums in their entirety and certain tracks from the others.

It certainly reminds me of a time when I was taking drugs and I will never forget those times. I used to make compilation tapes for the car and there would be a few songs from each album except Animals. Oh happy days.

advertisement

Back