advertisement

Pink Floyd ....

Oh god yes. I keep discovering I actually love things I always thought I hated. Steely Dan the most recent example. But certain things are fixed certainties...
If you told me eighteen months ago I'd be listening to jazz I'd have laughed! It really has allowed me to view most of the rest of my collection rather differently.

Agreed, though it is also wise to assume that one’s taste isn’t fixed, or certainly shouldn’t be. As an example I remember the whole anti-disco thing of the late-70s, early 80s very well, and in many ways it stopped me looking beyond say Donna Summer and Grace Jones, so attacking stuff can very much be a fashion choice. As of course attacking Pink Floyd was for manifesto punks etc. Some stuff is just unforgivable though, e.g. there is no coherent justification for Andrew Lloyd Webber or The Stereophonics, but beyond that I’m pretty chilled-out.

Not long ago, I thought I'd been unfairly dissing The Grateful Dead purely because Lou Reed said rude things about them back in the late '60s (though to be fair I also had a mate at university who played their stuff constantly, so I had actually heard some of it). So I decided to try them again on Spotify. Turns out I was right all along. Endless guitar noodling. Like a double maths lesson where you sneak a look at the clock, thinking it must be at least halfway through, only to realise that less than a minute has passed since you last looked.

See also: Wheels of Fire by Cream.

I’ve never really understood this ‘thing’ people have about Pink Floyd.
As far as I’m concerned the odd song is OK.
‘See Emily Play’ is catchy, for instance.

I inherited a CD of ‘Dark Side of the Moon’, but sold it on PFM.
Again, one or two tracks were interesting.

Gilmour’s a competent guitarist, but his solos seem to go on a bit.
As with all music, each to their own...

Not long ago, I thought I'd been unfairly dissing The Grateful Dead purely because Lou Reed said rude things about them back in the late '60s (though to be fair I also had a mate at university who played their stuff constantly, so I had actually heard some of it). So I decided to try them again on Spotify. Turns out I was right all along. Endless guitar noodling.

I really like the endless guitar noodling stuff, e.g. Dark Star can go on as long as it wants as far as I’m concerned. The Dead stuff I struggle with is the country & western with the ’microtonal’ harmonies, though some if that is quite good too.

Many years ago Nick Lees (is he still around? One of the good guys) made me a CD of what he promised was to the point no noodling Grateful Dead. I still struggle with it.

The Dead stuff I struggle with is the country & western with the ’microtonal’ harmonies, though some if that is quite good too.
Oh no, now you’ve got me racking my brains... where did I hear this?

Post-gig inquiry
Guitarist: “What the hell was that? Singing flat all night?”
Singer: “I was not singing flat! I was experimenting with microtones!”

I’m sure it was a BBC radio comedy, God knows which.

Last edited:
As of course attacking Pink Floyd was for manifesto punks etc. Some stuff is just unforgivable though, e.g. there is no coherent justification for Andrew Lloyd Webber or The Stereophonics, but beyond that I’m pretty chilled-out.

We maintain a strictly no Manic Street Preachers policy in my house.

Well I like the grateful dead, pink floyd and the stereophonics. It takes all sorts you know. Oh, and I like quite a bit of Roger Waters solo stuff too.

I’ve got a fair bit in my collection but I almost never play it any more. Really liked it in my teens and I keep it out of affection. Nowadays everything is available all the time so you would never have to choose but if I did it would probably be Piper and the solo Barrett albums. Same goes for most of my punk albums, in fact when I think of it, same goes for just about all of it. They are sort of places I’ve been to.
This is nice:

Same goes for most of my punk albums, in fact when I think of it, same goes for just about all of it.

I played Germ Free Adolescents a few weeks back and really enjoyed it! I think I’m now just so far away from youth taste etc that it is interesting almost hearing things fresh again. I think this is what has changed my attitude to Floyd since I wrote the earlier posts on this thread.

PS Same thing happened with Hüsker Dü’s Warehouse which I dug out pretty much unplayed from new this week (it sounded so awful sonically on my ‘80s system I just never connected with it). It is actually rather good!

Reactions: MVV
In the interests of research I listened to DSOTM all the way through yesterday, probably for the first time in 40 years. I was surprised by how ponderous it sounded - intros took forever, and even On the Run seemed to go on for twice as long as was necessary. The choruses of Us And Them still sounded majestic, the last couple of tracks packed a punch and some of the vocal interjections were oddly moving, but from this distance in time it sounded as if the whole was distinctly more than the sum of its parts.

Well I like the grateful dead, pink floyd and the stereophonics. It takes all sorts you know. Oh, and I like quite a bit of Roger Waters solo stuff too.

And you call yourself Mr Happy ;)

If they stopped after Meddle, that would have been a great legacy. I found DSOTM to be a purposeful attempt at commerciality. I still do like much of WYWH, I found Animals boring and although I liked the Wall on it's release I only like a handful of tracks now, I certainly can't ever envision listening to the whole album again. I bought The Final Cut on it's release hoping for a return to form, only to discover it was god-awful.

Old bands still at war with one another really is pathetic IMHO. New Order are another example.

advertisement

Back