advertisement

Pink Fish Playlist (Spotify)

Cheers Alex, keep the music coming people!
I just discovered the Young Marble Giants track - completely new to me, really enjoying it

There is too much old rock on this playlist, in fact generally a lot of old music. Why don't people add some modern music, please!?

Jonesi started a really good playlist for new stuff. Criteria I believe has to be released either this year or last 12 months I think.

There'e still some intersting surprises on this one though.

What fun...

Kyuss - Gardenia
Hawkwind - Lord Of Light
Sabbath - Symptom Of The Universe

Old Rock - yes. It passes the Hicks' test though.

Keep the list going this is fantastic. Still haven't heard all of it yet there's days worth on here.
This list is very inspirational an education in fact.
Well done all the contributors.
Just listening to Donny Hathaway Giving Up.

Added a rather large slab of "Can" oh my God "Pinch" and "halleluhwah" are amazing, what am I talking about there all amazing "one more night", "dizzy dizzy", "vitamin c" etc etc etc

Originally Posted by Tenson
There is too much old rock on this playlist, in fact generally a lot of old music. Why don't people add some modern music, please!?

I find modern music either too:

a) whiney
b) shouty
c) 'metrosexual'
d) derivative
e) uninspired
f) manufactured/ sanitised (see c)

The 80's introduced Hip Hop, the 90's brought Rave/ Trance etc. All built on stuff that had gone before, I know - but for a couple of brief moments there you felt things were moving onward and upward and it was exciting.

...now here we are approaching the end of another decade and I contend that there is nothing new or interesting these days - just whingey self obsession and retro mediocrity.
The last big things I remember being successfully marketed were the heavily retro "Grunge" and the abysmal "Brit Pop".
I have also seen a fair bit of (refreshingly) fascistic, stroppy and ridiculous posturing mysteriously labelled as R&B. However - unless I can get racial re-assignment free on the NHS - I think this is going to stay out of my reach. It does appear often to be relatively imaginative and daring though.

I'd love to be proved wrong here - someone show me something recent that hasn't been done before and that isn't retarded (a bit pretentious is OK) - or negative and depressing (and yes - it also needs to pass the Bill Hicks test).

Until then - I'll stick mainly to Zappa - thanks.

I find modern music either too:

a) whiney
b) shouty
c) 'metrosexual'
d) derivative
e) uninspired
f) manufactured/ sanitised (see c)

The 80's introduced Hip Hop, the 90's brought Rave/ Trance etc. All built on stuff that had gone before, I know - but for a couple of brief moments there you felt things were moving onward and upward and it was exciting.

...now here we are approaching the end of another decade and I contend that there is nothing new or interesting these days - just whingey self obsession and retro mediocrity.
The last big things I remember being successfully marketed were the heavily retro "Grunge" and the abysmal "Brit Pop".
I have also seen a fair bit of (refreshingly) fascistic, stroppy and ridiculous posturing mysteriously labelled as R&B. However - unless I can get racial re-assignment free on the NHS - I think this is going to stay out of my reach. It does appear often to be relatively imaginative and daring though.

I'd love to be proved wrong here - someone show me something recent that hasn't been done before and that isn't retarded (a bit pretentious is OK) - or negative and depressing (and yes - it also needs to pass the Bill Hicks test).

Until then - I'll stick mainly to Zappa - thanks.

Show me something 30 - 40 years old that isn't derivative of something before it. Musiceans are not hatched out of an egg with no prior influences. There has always been good and more crap at the same time its just we remember the good stuff.
Try the Jonesi list some good stuff on there released in the last 12 months also some crap but a lot of good stuff.

Is it possible to see date added to playlist?
I am really enjoying the playlist working my way down the list but today I have noticed that some of the tracks I have previously listened to and they are not duplicated further up the list.
Have I buggered up the list order inadvertently?
Is there a way to view in the order they were added?

Great list by the way.

s it possible to see date added to playlist?

I "think" this works, you can sort the tracks into the order they were added by clicking on the ARTIST tab - click until there is no arrow (up or down) showing on the ARTIST tab - the tracks should then be listed in the order added with the newest at the bottom of list.

Gerard

I "think" this works, you can sort the tracks into the order they were added by clicking on the ARTIST tab - click until there is no arrow (up or down) showing on the ARTIST tab - the tracks should then be listed in the order added with the newest at the bottom of list.

Gerard

Cheers Gerard
Was just listening to Monaco when you replied. I deleted your list first and then re-installed from the original link I think that works as well.
I think I must have inadvertently hit a column header; can't get used to the touch pad on the laptop.
Now Scott Walker The Seventh Seal.
Great list you started mate really enjoying the mix of old and new.

Pete

Just added the definitive version of Amsterdam by the master Jaques Brel.

Just added this one its a belter [Turn up the volume]. This one always takes me back to an era I was too young to appreciate fully at the time.

I think this remains a great idea and I'm going to check if Blackest Eyes by Porcupine Tree is on there and if not I'll add it

advertisement

Back