Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Pics of your HackerNAP builds please

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Puggie, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Puggie

Puggie Well-Known Member

So I'm undertaking a HackerNAP build. Would any/everyone consider sharing pictures of their builds for inspiration? I'm yet undecided on a casing. Probably leaning towards building monoblocks and was thinking something chrome bumper shoe-boxy in style, to keep with the Naimeyness inspiration of the build. Just looking for ideas at this point.

I also have a spare set of boards (JLCPCB manufacture) if anyone wants a set in exchange for a fair donation to the running of PFM.

Thanks

2. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

Have you started the build yet? I have boards but never got round to it. Do you have a current parts list for example?
    But yes a photo how to or in build sequence would be amazing

3. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

4. Puggie

Puggie Well-Known Member

I have boards,
    I have the boards, a current (I think) parts list and build manual. I'd be happy to document my build if people are interested.

Thanks Alan, is that a Modushop/HiFi2000 case?

5. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Lovely!

Yes, I believe it's a Dissipante with steel panels (given the rim on the back panel). The steel ones are a bit cheaper than aluminum.

I go for all aluminum myself now, in case I want to mount things needing heatsinks on the panels. (I once made the mistake of using a their Pesante case with steel panels, and blew up one of my NCC200s.)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021 at 4:37 PM
  6. chrisn

chrisn pfm Member

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sdqowxt4o2lzty/P1010234.JPG?dl=0
    I went for the cheaper case option, Pessante with perforated top
    Heatsinks internally pictured seem adequate, there was room for a Velleman protection unit
    Transformers are Cantab dual centre taps individually fused
    I also used some compact pcbs for the front end caps
    It looks messy and it is! But sounds good

7. Grog

Grog pfm Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My build so far, hope to finish this weekend.

8. 337alant

[QUOTE="Puggie,

Thanks Alan, is that a Modushop/HiFi2000 case?[/QUOTE]

Yes Panti Dissapanti all aluminium panels, same as I always buy.
    The heat sinks on the modushop cases are excellent.
    Alan

9. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Lovely!

Hmmm. I noticed the bent edge on your back panel, which I've only seen with their steel/iron panels. The 3mm aluminum back panels are flat.

Mynamemynaim likes this.
  10. 337alant

Ah the back panel?, could be as this case was previously used in an NCC-200 amp in 2008 maybe I did buy a steel backed one then ?
    Still even a steel back, top and bottom panel of a Pesante-Disapante would have no effect on heat sinking as the amplifier output transistors would still be bolted to the side Aluminium heat sinks?, I have also used a Pesante for an NCC-200 with no problems as long as you bolt them to the alloy side panels.
    Are you saying your NCC200 failed because you bolted the amplifier output transistors to a steel back panel of a Pesante case?
    Alan

11. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Lovely!

I mounted the C-channel heat spreaders to a larger slab of aluminum, then to the steel base panel of the Pesante case. Unfortunately, that didn't do a sufficient job of wicking the heat away from the transistors, and one of my NCC200 boards went into thermal overrun.

I learnt my lesson, and now I use aluminum for all sides, just in case I need to attach something that can get hot.

Mynamemynaim likes this.
  12. Grog

Grog pfm Member

I'm hoping my small case will have enough heatsinking.
    The boards are attached to a 6mm thick 100mmx200mm heat spreader, which is bolted to the outer aluminium extrusion.
    I've also put TR5 under the board so much closer to the heatsink than in the usual position.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Puggie

Puggie Well-Known Member

I use those Alubos extrusions in other projects, they are great.

Currently parts hoarding for my build, component supplies are a bit of an arse at the moment, so much stuff on backorder with the usual suspects!

thanks for the input

14. Grog

Grog pfm Member

I got the case from Lincoln bins, good price, and nice basic case,
    it's a nightmare getting parts at the moment, everything is on backorder, I hear it's the wafer/fab factories are prioritising the stuff they are contracted to supply like automotive IC's.
    we're facing shortages and price increases in the components for work too..
    hopefully it will settle down in the next 6 months..
    i have a horrible feeling a lot of the semi companies will take this crunch to review their slower moving products like the analog audio stuff and might discontinue it...
    which would be a huge shame, but now such a small part of the market.

15. Puggie

Puggie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just buy that side extrusion from Lincoln Binns and cut the rest of the sheet work myself usually. its very neat stuff, Anodized black it looks super smart. I'm considering using the shorter version (as I have some) to do my monoblocks.

16. Grog

Grog pfm Member

ah, good idea, I should in future just get the extrusions.
    to be honest I ordered them expecting black, and was surprised when they arrived silver,
    I forgot to specify!