advertisement

Picked up a Sansui 222 mkll

gregory lynch

pfm Member
Works great, although tatty but I always wanted one, i have a few cartridges i can use, the usual suspects Ortofon some ATs
but I'm wondering what else will sound good, don't want to spend no more than £150.00.

Thanks

Me too, great looking and they sound brilliant. I don't want to spend to much on a cartridge but I've been on a vintage trip lately,
I've also picked up a Sony 222ES amp, oh just realised Sansui 222, I might go for the AT f2 moving coil, all the 2s.

SR222 MkII aren't just good lookers, they are quite well made. The plinth is of pretty substantial chipboard construction compared to the price competition, and the tonearm actually has a proper Grace/Lustrè/Rega-like single hole mount with large threaded nut, and includes a substantial washer, roughly the same diameter as the top plate, that allows the arm to clamp the plinth quite solidly.

If the gloss black is a bit scratched, a bit of fine polish goes a long way. You'll want to use a very fine grit polish though. 3M Hand Glaze is one I've had success with. Also Novus No. 2 plastic polish (a fine scratch remover) does wonders, perfect for lids too.

Getting back to the construction, watch this repair video and take notice of the gubbins within...

I remember them well... In early flat earth days it was the law that this had to be your first TT followed by a Planar 3 and then an LP12:D JVC JAS11G or NAD3020 were the required amps and for a while Wharfedale Shelton XP2s were the required speakers... or AR18's

Planar 3/3020/AR18 playing Dire Straits in Holburn HiFi Aberdeen was one of those influential moments in life, decided I wanted to save up and get a proper system after that.

SR222 MkII aren't just good lookers, they are quite well made. The plinth is of pretty substantial chipboard construction compared to the price competition, and the tonearm actually has a proper Grace/Lustrè/Rega-like single hole mount with large threaded nut, and includes a substantial washer, roughly the same diameter as the top plate, that allows the arm to clamp the plinth quite solidly.

If the gloss black is a bit scratched, a bit of fine polish goes a long way. You'll want to use a very fine grit polish though. 3M Hand Glaze is one I've had success with. Also Novus No. 2 plastic polish (a fine scratch remover) does wonders, perfect for lids too.

Getting back to the construction, watch this repair video and take notice of the gubbins within...

Thanks for the info, the plinth is a bit rough on mine, some elbow grease is needed.

I remember them well... In early flat earth days it was the law that this had to be your first TT followed by a Planar 3 and then an LP12:D JVC JAS11G or NAD3020 were the required amps and for a while Wharfedale Shelton XP2s were the required speakers... or AR18's

Indeed. My first system was a Sansui SR222 mk1 with Shure M75ED, JVC JAS-11G and AR18s. I bought it from the hifi shop that I worked in as a Saturday boy after I won £1000 on one of those new fangled scratch cards. £1000 was a lot of money in 1978. I earned £5 for my day's labour in the hifi shop. The system cost around £300 IIRC.

Scratch cards 78?

It might have been 79 but I think it was 78. I remember because I was still 15 and you were supposed to be 16 to buy a scratch card. I turned 16 in Aug 79 so it was definitely prior to that. They never asked about my age thankfully.

My Planar 3/Nait 1/Spendor Prelude were not bad at all back then.........1986 if I remember correctly.
Quite honestly, if I wouldn’t have the funds to allow for higher level hi-fi, I could have been very happy with this set up for several years !

Oh, the humanity! Sansui SR-222 MkII appreciation thread turns into misty-eyed former Planar 3 owner's reunion; watch News at 11 for the full story.

Yeah I was thinking about a Nagaoka, just something about them that doesn't float my boat, I would like something that takes an easy load, maybe an ortofon OM or Grado but I'm not sure about the hum with the Grado's.

Oh the memories. Always fancied that Sansui TT myself. Owned the Nagaoka cart and AR18s for years . Grahams in Islington were the first to introduce me to the importance of quality cable - they rewired the inside of my AR18s

Interestingly, along with a number of other Japanese brands, Sansui were into induced magnet (IM) cartridges and supplied a number of Sansui branded OEM variants with 'SC' prefixes. They also supplied audio-technica sourced MM cartridges with Sansui printed on and 'SV' model prefixes ('V' for V-magnets).

Oddly, the SR-222 decks weren't factory supplied with cartridges for the UK, Canada, or the US (including Europe in the case of MkI). In other markets, MkII came with an induced magnet designated SC-37 with a 0.5mil spherical tip.

advertisement

Back