advertisement

Pick Pockets

-alan-

pfm Member
Prompted by this on the watch thread..

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...te-luxury-watch-thefts-women-southern-england

I was wondering if anybody else has been targeted by pick-pockets.

I was, at least once to my knowledge. Was travelling on the Paris Metro a few years back with my wife and daughter, heading back towards the airport with bags and suitcases aplenty. A team (of five we later realised) fell into place - youngish 20-30 year old males, two in front, two behind us on an escalator, with a fifth loitering near the top. As we came to the end of the escalator, one of the lead pair feigned stopping to adjust a shoe, crouched down and caused a pile-up as the three of us stumbled /nearly fell over him. By coincidence I'd seen exactly the same scenario reenacted on a documentary on pick pockets a couple of years earlier, so twigged what was going on.

Despite knowing what was happening, with us all piling over the guy at the front, and with the weight of the guys behind pushing in too, all of your attention gets focussed on the struggle to avoid falling over somebody else and trying to stay on your feet. In the ensuing melee I felt a couple of fingers go into the back pocket of my jeans and slide across a little business-card holder I had - didn't take it, but certainly checked it out. As the pile-up cleared the two pairs went off on different directions.

I pulled our lot to the side and explained what happened and asked them to check to see if anything was missing. The two girls were travelling with their handbags at the front, zipped, as I'd always have cautioned them on stuff like that. Despite that, the zip on my daughter's bag had been opened - but luckily her wallet and passport were in another zipped-section inside. About 10 minutes later we were on another train, and spotted the four lads - plus another one - calmly strolling along the platform like a well-dressed group of young tourists and professionals without a care in the world.

Looking back, it was clear we'd been hit by proper professionals: one to cause the distraction, a second in front and the two other behind making sure we were properly jostled, and working the pockets and bags in the chaos. The fifth presumably was on hand checking to ensure there were no cops around at the top of the stairs, or available for stuff to be handed off to if needed - or, heaven forbid - to bulk up the numbers to intervene in case things turned nasty. We were exceptionally lucky - but have to say, I was left in zero doubt that if those kind of guys are going to target you, there's very little you can do about it.

Anybody else been targeted or done ?

Nope! But Paris and Barcelona appear to be the acknowledged hot spots.

One of our daughters did have her phone lifted on holiday in Ibiza. Despite rapid intervention on tracking it was probably taken apart for parts very quickly. Fortunately insurance worked on the loss. Kids seem to think the back pocket is OK for a phone... it isn't. And I am forever telling my wife to keep her bag zipped - deaf ears mostly.

Other than that we once had a cleaner who was not averse to pinching money from other purses - especially the Nanny - who used to complain that I was underpaying her cash element - until we twigged what was going on. Then I found the drinks cupboard with empty bottles at the back....not not quite pick-pocketing.

Done plenty of international travel and heard stories and protection ideas. Best was - always have some notes folded up inside your socks (the ones you are wearing) - so if you get robbed you have some cash to help you find a taxi or whatever. Seemed a pretty good tip in S. Africa in 1983.....

A friend got his Rolex taken off his wrist in Barcelona, very professionally. Idiot for wearing it there IMO.
2 colleagues basically got mugged (independently) for their watches in London, a Rolex and a Panerai.
Just not worth the hassle in lawless urban environments, particularly when they’re so ubiquitous. It baffles me why people would make themselves a target for such a crime.

Had my wallet taken from the front pocket in my jeans by kids whilst in Rome.
I saw them pestering other people so had my hand in my pocket on my wallet. The group came over asking for a handout but we pushed through them.
Somehow they’d still lifted my wallet. Went straight back to find them, a road sweeper called the kids over and made them return the wallet. Cards intact but some cash gone.
Don’t know if he was in with them.

1986 in Nice, 2 gypsies. One waved an astrological star map in front of me and started talking to me, while the other put her hand in my pocket under the map. I felt it, grabbed her hand, got my money and punched her, having been bitten as an attempt to get away with the cash. I then felt the urge to turn and run. So I did.

A decent wake-up call for me on my first stopover inter-railing as a 17 year-old.

It’s incredibly blatant in Paris, you’ll even get the finger or verbal abuse when you confront them. It’s not happened to me in Barcelona but I know people who’ve been mugged there.

1986 in Nice, 2 gypsies. One waved an astrological star map in front of me and started talking to me, while the other put her hand in my pocket under the map. I felt it, grabbed her hand, got my money and punched her, having been bitten as an attempt to get away with the cash. I then felt the urge to turn and run. So I did.

A decent wake-up call for me on my first stopover inter-railing as a 17 year-old.

Good work! Hope you didn’t catch anything from the bite.

On a crowded bus from Pisa airport my wallet was taken from my back pocket. I “sensed” it happen. By the time I reacted I’m sure the wallet was moved on through several people.
My own stupid fault for having my wallet in my trousers.
Since then it stays in a zipped inside jacket pocket of a zipped up jacket.

Had my rucksack opened a few times. I always take it off on escalators now.

As scruffy 18 year old inter-railers some of us had our bags slashed open while we slept on an overnight train in France. God knows what they thought they might find but they must have been disappointed to be confronted with two weeks of laundry and a Thomas Cook railway timetable.

Last year in Lille a toe rag hanging round the ticket machines in the station swiped a 10 euro note as it was ejected from the machine with my change. I swiped it back and gave him a quick shove. He looked mortified and pegged it. TBH I felt kind of bad for him. He couldn't have been older than 11 or 12 and he's been sent out nicking. His future doesn't look great.

Had my wallet taken from the front pocket in my jeans by kids whilst in Rome.
I saw them pestering other people so had my hand in my pocket on my wallet. The group came over asking for a handout but we pushed through them.
Somehow they’d still lifted my wallet. Went straight back to find them, a road sweeper called the kids over and made them return the wallet. Cards intact but some cash gone.
Don’t know if he was in with them.
As soon as you put your hand over the pocket where your valuables are, you've flagged the location.

Add me to the Barcelona Las Ramblas list. First time on there, looking all around as I walked, so a massive neon sign to the pickpockets.

Was my front pocket too, after some girls stood in front of me and made a grab for my gentleman's area.

A short time later (and a bit worse for the wear I confess) I saw a guy in front of some of my mates and gave him a right old mouthful - turns out he was a nice chap just asking for a light.

Add me to the Barcelona Las Ramblas list. First time on there, looking all around as I walked, so a massive neon sign to the pickpockets.

Was my front pocket too, after some girls stood in front of me and made a grab for my gentleman's area.

A short time later (and a bit worse for the wear I confess) I saw a guy in front of some of my mates and gave him a right old mouthful - turns out he was a nice chap just asking for a light.

We had a whole break in Barcelona spoilt by the robbery going on around us. We never got done but we never felt safe - witnessed multiple thefts per day, some grab and run but some quite violent too.

I was nearly mugged for my watch in Palermo until a) they realised it wasn't worth nicking and b) some people arrived on the scene and the three blokes legged it.

Also Mrs H's camera was very neatly 'lifted' from her backpack in Naples. The camera was worth bugger all, but we lost all the photos from that holiday.

Had my wallet pinched twice, once on a train from London to Bristol, and once on Lime Street station, where I'd just arrived.

It can sometimes feel a bit like this is something that mostly happens in France/Italy/Spain etc but it's anywhere touristy. I saw it all the time in Camden and would sometimes warn tourists in the pub when they left their phones on the table or bags unguarded.

It can sometimes feel a bit like this is something that mostly happens in France/Italy/Spain etc but it's anywhere touristy. I saw it all the time in Camden and would sometimes warn tourists in the pub when they left their phones on the table or bags unguarded.

Afraid not; prior to the Pandemic, there were daily Radio Calls advising Bus Drivers in certain tourist hot-spots of pickpockets operating.

1982, in one of the slightly rougher sections of Cairo, I saw a beggar on crutches (polio?) carrying a tray with matches etc. presumably as a gift for anyone who would give him a little banknote. Very touching scene. He made a beeline for me, parked his crutch and wedged the tray against my midriff with his right hand while pleading non stop. I was explaining to him that I don’t smoke, “mish tadxeen”, and he kept insisting “no please take one” when the wallet wedged in my RH front pocket suddenly started to move upwards. I slapped my hand on the pocket before the wallet could get any further, the beggar looked at me, I looked at him, and we silently agreed the best thing for both of us would be to leave it at that.

Had my wallet pinched twice, once on a train from London to Bristol, and once on Lime Street station, where I'd just arrived.

When I lived in Thailand I was on a busy street in Bangkok and my wallet fell out of my backpack without me knowing, until that was a young Thai man tapped me on the shoulder and handed it to me. Knowing there was a couple of hundred quid in Baht in there and about to hand the guy some I opened it, looked down and by the time I could grab any cash he'd disappeared.

Other times I remember walking past groups of yoofs hanging around on sidestreets in the evening and never had any trouble at all, just hellos and smiles. Made coming back to Blighty even more of a culture shock.

advertisement

Back