advertisement

Piano music for a classical novice

Andrew C!

Been around a while....
I’m working towards my grade 8 in the spring next year. My piano teacher has given me some pieces of classical music to listen to, to aid in the theory aspect of the exam, but he’s suggested I broaden my musical knowledge in this area.

I’m doing a fugue, and pieces by Haydn and Handel, but got to thinking of asking folk on here for their recommendations?

I’m not a Chopin fan - too showy, but have played several Schumann pieces, as well as the aforementioned composers.

So, suggestions please?

Bach, obviously. Then for me Beethoven and Debussy. I really like Chopin too and would have recommended that. He did lots of ‘non-showy’ stuff too!

PS This is very much as a listener, I can play none of this stuff at all!

Schubert's "Moments Musicaux" are a joy to listen to. As in fact are many of his piano pieces. I'm thinking especially of the Sonatas and the piano music for four hands. For me, Schubert is one of the absolute masters of non-showy, clear and uncomplicated, yet deeply satisfying, piano music. Enjoy!
ML

I’m not a Chopin fan - too showy,

So, suggestions please?
Check out the Raindrop Prelude, or any of the preludes. Showy is nowhere to be found and some of the most beautiful piano music ever.

Bach Goldberg Variations. Could not live without this in my life. I'm partial to Gould 81 but there are many good/great recordings of it out there.

Moonlight Sonata 1st movement. Once upon a time, I could play this for friends... and then I stopped practicing and now I can't remember anything more than the first few bars (I don't have a piano anymore so have nothing on which to practice anyway).

I've never thought of Chopin as showy - much is virtuosic, but not showy for the sake of it, in the way that (IMHO) Liszt often is. One of the first pieces of Chopin I heard & grew to love was the Berceuse - a very gentle and beautiful piece.

A few other recommendations:
Schubert - piano sonatas, especially Piano sonata D960
Beethoven - many of the Sonatas. The named ones (Waldstein, Pathetique, Moonlight, Appassionata etc) are justifiably reknown, but a personal favourite and less well known one is no 28 Op101
Bartok - try Allegro Barbaro

Bach is one of the few of the "great" composers who leaves me largely unmoved I'm afraid, but there will be vast numbers of people who disagree!

On Schubert, don't overlook the Impromptus. Some challenges, but very satisfying to get right, and lovely music.

I find a lot of the Beethoven sonatas very technically challenging, and satisfying to play if you can master them (I can't these days, too little practice) but they don't always move me musically. Some do, obviously, but often not.

Another vote for Satie, and Debussy here too.

For an idea of what I’ve been asked to listen to, my three pieces are:
Reicha - Fugue no 1, from 36 fugues
Haydn - Presto: 1st movement from Sonata in E minor,
Brahms - Intermezzo in A minor (No 7 from Clavierstucke, Op 76.

No mention of Listz?
Transcendental Studies
Two piano concertos
B minor sonata

I’d maybe be considering looking and listening to mixed recitals like this:

Horowitz - Complete Deutsche Grammophon Recordings [BOX SET] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00008RWRI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Scriabin should get a mention, as should Scarlatti and Clementi.

Mendehlssohn and Brahms wrote fantastically for piano as did Schumann. Maybe a good listen on a streaming service to see what you do like.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If Chopin is out (a crime, but fair enough), then perhaps some of the same criticism would apply. But I’m surprised no one has mentioned Rachmaninov.

His piano music is amazing. And two extra cool things: one, his music is one of the motivating forces in the excellent film Shine, and two, I have a recording of the man himself playing a variety of solo piano music. You can get it for about 2 quid from Qobuz, it’s a BNF release.

In the classical forum there was a discussion of Debussy stuff, which resulted in me and one or two others ordering the box set of solo material played by Ogawa.

Haven’t received it yet, but it sounds lovely via Spotify. Worth checking out.

There are plenty of recordings of the three best known Beethoven sonatas - Moonlight, Pathetique and Appasionata.

To show that less is more try some Satie - or a bit more left field Mompou.

Finally, you can’t go wrong with Bach.

Have had a vague idea I'd do well to explore Debussy for decades, but I've done nothing. Any suggestions?

I’d certainly recommend this Ogawa box set, it just sounds ‘right’ to me and it makes sense to land the whole lot in one go given its under £30.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back