advertisement

"photography was dead by 1972"

"Everything had been resolved between 1839 and 1972. Every picture after 72, I have seen pre-72. Nothing new. But it took me some time to detect its death. The first person who twigged was Henri Cartier-Bresson. He just stopped – and started painting and drawing. God, he was useless."

So did you watch the documentary? It's a shame they don't export these here -- we get Are Your Being Served and Eastenders.

Excellent. Right or wrong (and he's more right than wrong, but does it really matter) I'll be watching.

Documentary is on tonight I think. Can you not do something with a proxy and watch it via iPlayer Dan?

Documentary is on tonight I think. Can you not do something with a proxy and watch it via iPlayer Dan?

I thought the beeb had gone to great lengths to stop people doing just that. At leas that's what I found the last time I googled it. Usually these docs do show up on You Tube after a while: e.g., I was watching the Krautrock doc last night.

Dan

What a pile of nonsense he's talking Avedon didn't do his seminal work until 1979!
The game might have been up for him because he never had the understanding of light and surface Penn or Avedon had.

If your going to burn your negatives have something worth burning, like Weston ;)

What a pile of nonsense he's talking Avedon didn't do his seminal work until 1979!
The game might have been up for him because he never had the understanding of light and surface Penn or Avedon had.

If your going to burn your negatives have something worth burning, like Weston ;)

There's little agreement among great photographers regarding the fate of their negatives. Brett Weston burned his because he saw them as a mere step on the way to a print, and that his vision was too personal for anyone else to print.

He offered to burn Ansel Adams's negatives but Adams would have none of it: the trained pianist saw his negatives as musical scores and the prints as performances, and he wanted to offer future printers the opportunity to put on a better show than he did.

Edward Weston saw his negatives as a means of partly supporting his family after his death. Cole had the job until his death a few years ago. I'm not sure who prints Edward's negs now - perhaps his grandson, Kim.

advertisement

Back