advertisement

[Photography] Raw-A-Week Mastering

Mine was #3.

It's way too bright, partly because I was fiddling with my monitor brightness, as Vuk surmised, after getting some over-dark prints back; and I was also trying to keep the sky shapes intact, which is pretty much impossible without losing contrast elsewhere. I was also trying unsuccessfully to pull back a lot of the blown highlights on the left.

I almost never crop my own stuff, so it doesn't normally occur to me with other people's; but I thought the slight crops others used worked well.

The B&W conversions too worked better, as neutralising the white balance got the slightly weird colours Matthew and I got. There's not a lot of leeway if you're trying to balance sodium lights.

I don't think it's a particular strong shot - Cesare's 2nd is much better - but a good one to work with. You learn a lot from trying to make the not-quite-there shots work.

well i thought i'd have a fiddle with one of those late ones.

CRW_9473 copy.jpg

Yes, very nice. Better than my attempt :-(

Cesare

I'm not sure if this thread will continue, but if it does, it would be good to discover the steps used to make the new pictures. Otherwise, all that one can say is 'I like X's version of Y's photo'. For example, vuk liked the tonality in Ian's first pic, and I'm pretty sure Ian only has levels and not curves, so how did Ian get the right balance?

Dan

you need to upload it to a server/file sharing facility, for which you need web hosting space.

blimey, i'd forgotten about this thread. I use my own server and ftp the files there. You then put an http link in as hypertext using the "go advanced" menu, so you end up with something like this

The default jpeg conversion for which looks like:

L1000018.jpg

I'd be interested to see if you can do something better than default with this one :)

Most Internet Service Providers give you free web space in their package. The largest UK ISP is probably Tiscali. I seem to have ended up with unlimited web space courtesy of a cock up in transferring my account from via.networks to clara.net. Most free web space providers do it on the back of providing dial up internet access. You can get web space, ADSL, email and 3g data access all in one package from O2, Vodafone and T-Mobile.

cheers
Cliff

OK

Nothing too outlandish though. I added a bit of warmth and cleaned up the highlights, which seemed to bring out its eyes and give it a more bronzed look. Then cropped/tidied the distracting wall at the bottom. Also added a tad of sharpness.

3528350909_1dde6ffbf2.jpg

Cliff,

Heath did the hard work by adding the banana, but I Spocked up the chimp's ears and brow ridges.

3486bf9.jpg

(Sorry)

Joe

advertisement

Back