advertisement

[Photography] Raw-A-Week Mastering

matthewr

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld
All,

Not sure if this will work or not but I think it might be quite interesting and informative also help improve our "Mastering" skills.

What I suggest is this. Each week someone posts a RAW file (or original scan) exactly as it came out of the camera/scanner at full size. Each of us then "masters" this using our preferred tools (ACR, Photoshop, etc) and makes a reasonable sized JPEG (800 pixels longest dimension).

The finished pictures are then e-mailed to me and, after a couple of days, I post them here for discussion. I think its important to do this via e-mail so we don't find ourselves influenced by other people's versions of the pictures.

After a period of discussion the original photographer picks a favourite other than his own and that person gets first option at providing the next image. We could also possibly have an informal vote for the "winner".

Does this seem like something people might be interested in? If so I have an image to get us started. It's not a particuarly great photograph (although I like it) although I think it's interesting from a processing / mastering viewpoint for a number of reasons.

So if you want to have a go then please do so and e-mail to me at matthew a t oddpost d o t com

http://www.mathematicallysafe.com/uploads/station.dng

I get it opening as a Quicktime movie. If you right click the file and do save as you can get a TIF file from it.

Cheers
Cliff

So when do we upload our own samples?

Hmm, It works for me in Firefox and clicking it gives me "Save as" dialog and a 4.8MB download. In IE you might have to do a Right Click and "Save As".

Bizarrely IE7 tries to save it as a tiff file. I will investigate.

Got it, now to make it worse...

Tony.

PS for those having trouble just right click and save Matthew's link, don't 'normal click' it.

Under the hood, the DNG file format is basically TIFF with a few extra knobs on. IE is probably trying to be clever.

-- Ian

It's a RAW file though not an RGB image like TIFF. It's hard to see how anything could make any use of it other than a RAW convertor of some sort.

Downloaded fine here.

So the trick now is I adjust it to what I think is good then email it to Matthew?

advertisement

Back