advertisement

Photography as a side hustle?

I know a few professional photographers. One basically runs a photo tours business. One charges clients £900 each to take nude pictures. These are the only two that I know are making any serious money. Everyone else is struggling.

If you must go this route then I would think about wall calendars. You only need to be able to produce 12 outstanding pictures every year.

I know a few professional photographers. One basically runs a photo tours business. One charges clients £900 each to take nude pictures. These are the only two that I know are making any serious money. Everyone else is struggling.

If you must go this route then I would think about wall calendars. You only need to be able to produce 12 outstanding pictures every year.
Funnily enough I knew someone who in the mid-2000s was making serious money taking photos of couples enjoying each other’s bodies. Early days of consumer dSLRs, fairly easy money for him. That lasted about five years. Not for me…. Yuck.

Blimey, 12 a year!

Wouldn't work for me. The last photo that I took that I sort of liked was in 2007.

Funnily enough I knew someone who in the mid-2000s was making serious money taking photos of couples enjoying each other’s bodies. Early days of consumer dSLRs, fairly easy money for him. That lasted about five years. Not for me…. Yuck.

Here are their respective websites.

BILD DES MONATS / PICTURE OF THE MONTH - peter-fischer-photographys Webseite! (peterfischer-photography.com)

Marco Barbera Photo - Fine art nude photographer - Spain - Home - Marco Barbera Photo

My brother has been a professional architectural / built environment photographer for the last 25 years or so and started his own business around 8 years ago when the major construction company he worked for laid him off.
Does very well from it but spends half his life on the road and staying in Holiday Inn type motels.

An observation of a more general nature, but I am very much of the belief that the fun rapidly drains out of hobbies once you turn them into a job.

I have contemplated doing a bit of bike mechanics on the side, but the thought of having to deal with the public and accounting software put me right off it.

So much negativity here! I would say go for it- the main point being that you cover your costs and enjoy it! Find subjects that you really like and identify what it is you like about the subject matter and try to develop a strong personal style/identity. Take your time and find outlets that will work for you. The chances are your local area has some sort of art forum/group that runs an 'open studios' week every year- a great way to get your work noticed and meet other like minded people. I think if its fun and you don't put pressure on yourself, or feel downhearted because you didn't sell something today, you will have a very rewarding side line that will undoubtedly supplement your income to some degree and give you a lot of pleasure!

advertisement

Back