advertisement

Photo Theme 304 - Behind the Door - closes midnight Sept 18

Marchbanks

Hat and Beard member
Theme - Behind the Door - the spooky one ajar at the bottom of the cellar stairs, the ornate one at the confessional, the one on the front of the cupboard where you keep your Cycling Proficiency badge. Either show us what’s behind it, or make us want to guess. Nearly everyone has at least one door, so there’s no excuse for anyone not to enter! Submit one photo to be taken between August 29th and midnight Sunday September 18th 2022.
2) Max dimensions 1000px (W) x 800px (H) per photo, to be displayed in line please, rather than linked. Sticking with the trial of ‘most likes wins’ with me having the deciding vote in the case of a tie.

Themes so far have been:
4 Legged; A Sense of Scale; Abandoned. A Small Joy; Abstract; After Dark; Age; Album cover; All My Own Work; Angles; Animals; Another Fine Mess; Anticipation; Anything Goes; Arboreal; Arches; At the Market; At the water's edge; Athletic; Atmosphere; Autumn; Autumnal; Back to Basics; Bath; Beautiful Evidence; Beer; Before & After; Below; Black & White; Bleak; Bliss; Bloom; Bokeh; Bricks & Stone; Building; Candid; Car(s); Changing Seasons; Character; Charm; Chill; Christmas is Coming; Close to home; Close up; Coast; Cold; Cold February; Comfort; Commerce; Communication; Complex; Constant Variable; Construction; Contrast; Corner - or around it; Crowded; Curves; Cycle; Darlin' Companion; Decay; Deep; Desolate; Discontinuous; Distant; Distorted; Disproportionate; Doors; Dominant Colour; Dream; Emergency Services; Empty; Enterprise; Escapism; Evening; Eye; Faces Everywhere; Family; Favourite thing; Feet; Feet in the Picture; Feminine; Festive sprit; Fill the frame; Fish out of Water; Flow; Folded; Food; Food of Love; For the Record; Frame It; Freedom; From Above; Fruit; Gesture; Glass; Go; Goodness Gracious Me!; Grain; Grand Day Out; Great Balls of Fire; Green; Grey; Hands; Hardware; Here comes the sun; Hidden; High or Low; Highlight; Highly Strung; Holidays; Hope; Horsepower; Humour; Implementation; Impression(ist); Incongruous; Independence; Indulgence; Industrial; Infrastructure; Inside; Interaction; Interstitial; Intertwine; Isolation; Junk; Kaleidoscope of Colours; Labour; Large!; Lawlessness / Disobedience; Leisure; Less Is More; Light; Light Relief, Indoors; Line; Lines; Links; Long Exposure; Look Up or Look Down; Looking Out; Lots of Colour; Low light; Lunch; Lush; Marching into Spring (or Springing into March); Massive; Mechanical; Missing; Modern Life Is Rubbish; Modern World; Morning; Mother nature; Motion; Movement; Movement 2; Moving Still; My favourite Beauty Spot; Naked; Natural World; Neon; New beginning; Night; Noise; Non-linear; Numbers; Numerous; Objets Trouvés; Old & New; On forever's very now we stand; On Two Wheels; On your doorstep; Oops; Open; Open - Anything Goes; Open - any subject or style; Orange; Out & About; Out with the old, in with the new; Outside; Park life; Parking; Paths; Patience; Pause; Polly Wants A Cracker; Portal; Portrait; Portrait: Green in black and white; Power; Reasons To Be Cheerful; Recreation; Red; Reflect; Reflection; Relaxing; Remote; Retail; Rhythm; Rock; Rubbish; Rust; Rustic; Sand, Sea or Sky; Scorch; Set; Shadows; Shadows/ the spaces in between; Shapes Everywhere; Sharp; Shopping Madness; Signs; Silhouettes; Simple; Simplicity; Single Colour; Sliding; Small; Smooth; Song Titles; Space; Sparkling; Speed; Sphere of Influence; Sporting Action; Spring; Spring Has Sprung; Square; Static; Steel; Still Life; Straight out of camera! Round; Stranger; Street; Sunlight; Symmetry; Technology; Tension; Texture; Texture / Dominant Colour; The eyes have it; Revolution; The Facility; The Golden Hour; The Great Outdoors; The last days of Summer; The Look of Love; The Road and the Sky; Thirds; Three; Time; Tiny; Tomorrow (diptych - abandoned); Tools; Top to Bottom; Tranquillity; Translucent; Transport; Triangle; Two of; Uncovered; Unruly/disobedient; Up; Up Close; Up My Street; Upside Down; Urban; Vanishing Point; Vertical; Voluptuous; Walls; Warm; Water; Weather; Wet Wet Wet; White noise; Wildlife; Wind; Window; Wings; Winterval; Wish You Were Here; Wood; Work; Work, Rest or Play; Xmas Excess; Yellow; Yes; Your neighbourhood;Theme;

If I were allowed to enter myself (of course, I’m not) I would post something like this, taken on this evening’s stroll.

52359406797_1215a4272a_b.jpg

On second thoughts, why shouldn’t I be allowed to enter? After all, all I did was choose the subject (and a spectacularly bad choice, it would seem.) I’m not responsible for the result. So if no-one else enters I’m going to declare myself the winner and start again!

On second thoughts, why shouldn’t I be allowed to enter? After all, all I did was choose the subject (and a spectacularly bad choice, it would seem.) I’m not responsible for the result. So if no-one else enters I’m going to declare myself the winner and start again!
Good one.

So if no-one else enters I’m going to declare myself the winner and start again!

Certainly you should do this & just prolong the period another 2-3weeks.

It's an excellent theme - just needs some prolonged engagement ... / lots of people taking late hols/ kids-back-to-school-busyness: all such recent distractions.

For my own part I haven't found a good-enough door yet; & the interesting ones are labelled & locked to Discourage.

As we have another entrant, I’m disqualifying myself and will be closing the contest on time. The rest of you have 12 hours or so to post and achieve glory by getting more votes than antinchip!

I would comment on the succes of the new judging theme which now means that whoever enters, wins. But It'll just amuse marchybaby so Ill just say
FAIL
You will however carry on anyway hahaha
Ah well
another fine idea dies the mediocrity death. Well done lads.

I would comment on the succes of the new judging theme which now means that whoever enters, wins. But It'll just amuse marchybaby so Ill just say
FAIL
I don’t follow - the current competition has (at present) two entrants, so at least one of them won’t win.

Of course if you entered and won, you could revert back to the old rules. I haven’t changed anything myself, I’m just going with the status quo.

well this competition has run for many years, and it's only the last few times trhat the 'most ticks win' philosophy has been used. The status quo is against it and if you note the historical number of entries it seems to have faded from a dozen or so to
erm
one?
I don't know how we judge success here but
oh wait
yes i do
I'm a lonely voice so i lose hahaha
ok

well this competition has run for many years, and it's only the last few times trhat the 'most ticks win' philosophy has been used. The status quo is against it and if you note the historical number of entries it seems to have faded from a dozen or so to .....

Photo competitions run so far in 2022 and entries:

296 = 5
297 = 3
298 = 5
299 = 5
300 = 7
301 = 3
Likes introduced as criterion:
302 = 6
303 = 5
304 = 1
(overall entries average = 4.4)

Can't see any with a 'dozen or so' though ..... so if it has 'faded' must have been some time back ;)

304 just looks like a fluke to me.

I have been an occasional entrant for a few years now. I have observed the “rules” throughout.

Having been declared the “winner” last time round I chose to continue the recent approach. Perhaps the next winner is at liberty to continue or revert.

In the event of a tie I will adjudicate accordingly. I presumed that this was supposed to be a bit of fun?!

I take all my Arts quite seriously. This comp sprang out of a similar one at Wigwam IIRC. Maybe 15 years back? I doubt we ever had more than 12 entries even then but they were all considered pics and it was hotly contested I thought.
But ok, so this is something else. I've never been one to slide quietly away when i see something becoming less than it might be. Comes of being a teacher I expect. Always wanted everyone to 'do the best/be the best they could be, but...'a bit of fun' now?
doesn't interest me enough to go out with the camera so carry on chaps.

As i made clear at the time, i wont enter a popularity vote (it removes the fun for me) - i prefer to be judged by the setter of the theme

My comments were made as a keen hobby photographer being a participant in something originated by others. Perhaps my “bit of fun” observation was wide of the mark. When entering I have enjoyed the effort in creating an image that I considered worthy.

Personally I will be content to enter images in future themes that interest me, whichever process is stipulated.

advertisement

Back