advertisement

Photo theme 285: "The road and the Sky" - closes 16th May 2021

Rockmeister

pfm Member
Photo Theme 285: "The Road and the Sky" (from Jackson Browne's song title).
Closes midnight Sunday may 16th.

Any interpretation, but I was dreaming about the open road and moving on, since we can now...or we can dream.

1) Submit one photo to be taken between now and the end date.

2) Max dimensions 1000px (W) x 800px (H) per photo, to be displayed in line please, rather than linked.

Themes so far have been:

4 Legged; A Sense of Scale; Abandoned. A Small Joy; Abstract; After Dark; Age; Album cover; Angles; Animals; Another Fine Mess; Anticipation; Anything Goes; Arches; At the Market; At the water's edge; Athletic; Atmosphere; Autumnal; Back to Basics; Bath; Beautiful Evidence; Beer; Before & After; Below; Black & White; Bleak; Bliss; Bloom; Bokeh; Building; Candid; Car(s); Changing Seasons; Character; Charm; Chill; Close to home; Close up; Coast; Cold; Comfort; Commerce; Complex; Constant Variable; Construction; Contrast; Corner - or around it; Crowded; Curves; Darlin' Companion; Decay; Deep; Desolate; Discontinuous; Distant; Distorted; Dominant Colour; Dream; Emergency Services; Empty; Enterprise; Escapism; Evening; Eye; Faces Everywhere; Family; Favourite thing; Feet; Feet in the Picture; Feminine; Festive sprit; Fill the frame; Fish out of Water; Flow; Folded; Food; Food of Love; For the Record; Frame It; Freedom; From Above; Fruit; Gesture; Glass; Go; Grain; Grand Day Out; Great Balls of Fire; Green; Grey; Hands; Hardware; Hidden; High or Low; Highlight; Highly Strung; Holidays; Hope; Horsepower; Humour; Implementation; Impression(ist); Incongruous; Independence; Indulgence; Industrial; Infrastructure; Inside; Interaction; Interstitial; Intertwine; Isolation; Junk; Kaleidoscope of Colours; Labour; Large!; Lawlessness / Disobedience; Leisure; Less Is More; Light; Light Relief, Indoors; Line; Lines; Links; Long Exposure; Look Up or Look Down; Looking Out; Low light; Lunch; Lush; Massive; Mechanical; Modern Life Is Rubbish; Modern World; Morning; Mother nature; Motion; Movement; Moving Still; My favourite Beauty Spot; Naked; Natural World; Neon; New beginning; Night; Noise; Non-linear; Numbers; Numerous; Objets Trouvés; Old & New; On forever's very now we stand; On Two Wheels; On your doorstep; Oops; Open; Open - Anything Goes; Orange; Out & About; Out with the old, in with the new; Outside; Park life; Parking; Paths; Patience; Pause; Polly Wants A Cracker; Portal; Portrait; Portrait: Green in black and white; Power; Recreation; Red; Reflect; Reflection; Relaxing; Remote; Retail; Rhythm; Rock; Rubbish; Rust; Rustic; Sand, Sea or Sky; Scorch; Set; Shadows; Shapes Everywhere; Sharp; Shopping Madness; Signs; Silhouettes; Simple; Simplicity; Single Colour; Sliding; Small; Smooth; Song Titles; Space; Sparkling; Speed; Sphere of Influence; Sporting Action; Spring; Spring Has Sprung; Square; Static; Steel; Still Life; Straight out of camera! Round; Stranger; Street; Sunlight; Symmetry; Technology; Tension; Texture; Texture / Dominant Colour; The eyes have it; Disproportionate; Doors; Revolution; The Facility; The Golden Hour; The Great Outdoors; The last days of Summer; The Look of Love; Thirds; Three; Time; Tiny; Tomorrow (diptych - abandoned); Top to Bottom; Tranquillity; Translucent; Transport; Triangle; Two of; Uncovered; Unruly/disobedient; Up; Up Close; Up My Street; Upside Down; Urban; Vanishing Point; Vertical; Voluptuous; Walls; Warm; Water; Weather; Wet Wet Wet; White noise; Wind; Window; Wings; Winterval; Wood; Work; Work, Rest or Play; Xmas Excess; Yellow; Yes; Your neighbourhood; Missing; Shadows/ the spaces in between.

Times up, so no entry = no winner. I don’t know who runs this thread, but expect someone will be along to move things on.

Here’s one to get the ball rolling - the People’s Republic of Warwickshire looking rather spiffy this morning despite the prospect of a soaking.

51188460475_08fa33498b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Well chaps, thanks for all the entries. Splendid stuff.
In order:
Marchbanks really drew me in. I liked it's unstudied air and lack of tweaks. It spoke to me of a path worth travelling.
Saturn's rail tracks in B&W were nostalgic. I remember standing on bridges waiting for the steam train and this was just that, with that track vanishing to? Great Sky too.
Mr P's faultlessly captured flyover, with its elegant composition was very arresting. You can see all the hard work that's gone into the processing of this. Pro stuff as ever.
I loved the structure of Martin's crane and the stark man made hardness against that sky, and
FF1's beautiful craggy hill with the winding road. That's a great shot, lovely composition and tone, all broody and dangerous!
By contrast, Pete's street is eerily empty and quiet. I could almost hear the wind blowing along it. Liked that red building too, all waiting for the people to emerge and busy it up.

Very tough. But Marchbanks wins for me.

It's not a technical pic, but that was the road that made me want to walk down it and see what lay under the rain storm at the end. So.
Thanks all and over to Marchbanks for the next one.

Very tough. But Marchbanks wins for me.
Well, thanks. Sorry I’m a little late, I’ve only just remembered that the competition has finished so looked in to see who had won. I’m more than surprised, I wasn’t expecting a podium place!

You’ve certainly got my photographer credentials sussed - I’m strictly phone directly to page. I bought a Fuji X100S from a pfm’er a couple of years back but have hardly used it. I usually press the wrong button and get it in a complicated mode with the screen full of information I don’t understand. Much quicker and less confusing for me to use a phone - just point and slide the exposure thing until it looks about right - apart from I when a accidentally shoot a 30-minute video of the inside of my trouser pocket because I pressed the shutter without having my specs on, then put the phone away without noticing it was still running.

Sorry for the rambling. I’ll think of something for you all before too long.

Last edited:
Yup, taken from a path whose existence I hadn't previously suspected which ran from the upper level of Cwmorthin quarry, round through crags to the very highest exploratory levels of Oakley quarry. I came back over the top, seeing the cracks and fissures from the collapse of the caverns underneath.
Those old quarries are incredible, it must have been grim working up there!

advertisement

Back