advertisement

Photo Theme 270 - Homespun 'studio' shot - closing date: 17 May 2020

ian123running

pfm Member
Photo Theme 270 - Homespun 'studio' shot - closing date: 17 May 2020.

And as we're still mostly likely to be confined, possibly with way too much time on our hands, the new Theme is for a studio shot - preferably homespun and cheapo / improvised. This was inspired by Steveinspain's recent Lockdown Flowers thread : https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/lockdown-flowers-and-the-like.239632/ and by my own efforts to photograph a wine glass in the kitchen lit using a cheap LED torch and a black vinyl chair as backdrop. You don't
have to describe or show your 'studio' but of course points may be awarded for ANY aspect of your posting.... and we'll leave to people to enter into this in the spirit it's intended. Have fun.

1) Photos to be taken between now and the end date.
2) Max dimensions 1000px (W) x 800px (H) per photo, to be displayed in line please, rather than linked.

Themes so far have been:

Cold; Unruly/disobedient; 4 Legged; My favourite Beauty Spot; Simple; Weather; Decay; Old & New; Rhythm; Motion; Portrait; Inside; Work, Rest or Play; Spring; Three; Light; Up; Charm; Feminine; Bokeh; Naked; Upside Down; Natural World; Square; Long Exposure; Sliding; Dream; Street; Autumnal; Night; Fish out of Water; Candid; Winterval; Hope; Portrait; Simplicity; Lines; Coast; Power; Bleak; Close up; Rock; Mechanical; Reflection; Two of; Abstract; Green; Humour; Curves; Fruit; Mother nature; Smooth; Neon; "on forever's very now we stand"; At the water's edge; "Out with the old, in with the new"; Warm; Stranger; Modern Life Is Rubbish; Still Life; Sparkling; Distant; Intertwine; Flow; Paths; Freedom; Numbers; Urban; Faces Everywhere; Beautiful Evidence; Angles; Static; Shadows; Darlin' Companion; Chill; Single Colour; Atmosphere; Isolation; Implementation; Texture; Hidden; Silhouettes; Leisure; Sphere of Influence; Yes; Set; White noise; Another Fine Mess; Industrial; Interstitial; From Above; Age; Tension; Top to Bottom; Evening; Comfort; Wind; Yellow; On your doorstep; Complex; Vanishing Point; Indulgence; After Dark; Gesture; Parking; Incongruous; Spring Has Sprung; Infrastructure; Commerce; On Two Wheels; Lush; Feet; Athletic; Water; Go; Lunch; Escapism; Pause; Uncovered; Beer; Window; Contrast; Time; Voluptuous; Numerous; Patience; Wood; Objets Trouvés; Signs; Highly Strung; Park life; Transport; Symmetry; Enterprise; Interaction; Walls; Folded; Distorted; The Look of Love; The last days of Summer; Looking Out; Rustic; Polly Wants A Cracker; Oops; Wet Wet Wet; Building; Relaxing; Line; Food; Moving Still; Triangle; Noise; Empty; Tranquillity; Discontinuous; Translucent; The eyes have it, Disproportionate, Doors, Revolution; Recreation; Impression(ist); At the Market; Eye; Your neighbourhood; Straight out of camera! Round; Portal; Transport; Shopping Madness; High or Low; Hands; Back to Basics; The Golden Hour; Character; Bath; Vertical; Anticipation; Bloom; Bliss; Small; Grand Day Out; Red; Highlight; Modern World; Speed; Family; Holidays; Remote; Orange; Grain; Hardware; Construction; Reflect; Grey; Desolate; Morning; For the Record; Out & About; Massive; Thirds; Food of Love; The Great Outdoors; Sharp; Rubbish; The Facility; Independence; Shapes Everywhere; Constant Variable; Labour; Before & After; Glass; Great Balls of Fire; Anything Goes; Song Titles; Up Close; Black & White; Look Up or Look Down; Sporting Action; Kaleidoscope of Colours; Less Is More; Sunlight; Horsepower; Feet in the Picture; Sand, Sea or Sky; Frame It; Steel; Low light; Wings; 4 Legged; Lawlessness / Disobedience; Crowded; Retail; Cold; Arches; Space; Movement; Anything Goes (twice in a row); Outside; Emergency Services; Work; Scorch; Tiny; Album cover; Non-linear; Fill the frame; Rust; Festive sprit; New beginning; Open (anything goes);Texture / Dominant Colour; Close to home; Favourite thing; Open; Portrait: Green in black and white; Large!; Below; Changing Seasons; Technology; Xmas Excess; A Sense of Scale; Tomorrow (diptych - abandoned); Up My Street; Abandoned. A Small Joy;

Hello all,

Here's my 'studio' effort

MrB.jpg

The model is called Moxley not far from Bilston. Old Ephraim nearly falls over backwards as he sees Mr Betjeman coming out of the back door, knowing full well what's going to happen. "Ahhhhh! says Mr Betjeman I'm glad your here I was just going to the caff for an egg and tomato dip sandwich" (Mr Betjeman's dad had sent him to his factory to learn a proper trade, making fountain pens and paid him accordingly)

"Now your here Ephraim I shall recite my new poem, 'Bathing Belles at Bilston Baths'..."

Cheers - J

One 9 Watt LED light above, one 60 Watt tungsten behind me, 4 manual focus frames, stacked in Combine ZP using the simplest command 'Do stack'.

Wow, I've been an inspiration for something. I can die happy now.. (the sooner the better I hear my wife groan)
Seriously, I feel flattered, thank you!
Maybe I need to enter a picture....

OK, here is my picture - taken in the sitting room, curtain drawn enough to darken the background (which is a pale stone/cream colour with a fancy name that doesn't give much away) and a silver reflector fairly close to daughters face.
Window is to the LHS as viewed, reflector opposite.
I've done some basic editing - increase contrast, lift a few shadows slightly on her face. I was keen for her to blend in with the blackness of the background.
I've not entered this before so don't know the rules, and hope that posting via flickr means it'll show up at the required size - please guide me if not !

DSCF3266 e_resize by Steve Powell, on Flickr
Edit - Looks like it has..!

Here's my effort, quite simple 'technique' with a small carnation laid on the window sill for flat light but still retaining some shadows. Shot hand-held with an old 105mm macro lens on Nikon Z7 then cropped and converted to mono in LR.

_DSC0845-5.jpg

That's lovely, abstract and dreamy..

Thanks, Steve. This was shot at f/4, I also shot a couple at smaller apertures but preferred the very shallow depth of field of this one.
I think that's a part of why it works so well Paul.
If it was my picture I'd print it and get it up on a wall. Sadly it's not.
I may have to try doing something similar, it's just not the sort of thing I'd usually see or notice.

I think that's a part of why it works so well Paul.
If it was my picture I'd print it and get it up on a wall. Sadly it's not.
I may have to try doing something similar, it's just not the sort of thing I'd usually see or notice.
Interestingly I made it up as an 18" square canvas on Epson Premium Satin Canvas but I'm not really keen on it. I think the canvas texture detracts from the smoothness of the image in some way, even at a reasonable viewing distance. I may try printing it again but I'm not sure I've got any paper on hand that would suit.

Interestingly I made it up as an 18" square canvas on Epson Premium Satin Canvas but I'm not really keen on it. I think the canvas texture detracts from the smoothness of the image in some way, even at a reasonable viewing distance. I may try printing it again but I'm not sure I've got any paper on hand that would suit.
I've only got one canvas, and for a reason. I'm not sure why they are such a desirable thing to print on. Mine looks fine, but as you say, not always the best choice for some images like yours, something smoother may be better. I'm quite a beginner to printing so my experience of different papers is very limited - I had no idea how much a paper can change an image until I got a pack of mixed 'art' papers to try, which seemed to leave me even less informed as to what to use when. My printer (a Canon i8750) came bundled with some Permajet refillable cartridges which means that I can experiment to some extent, but my lack of income means I can't go spending on too much paper..

Four lovely photos and descriptions - thank you everyone who entered into the spirit and for the interesting shots.

Pete's jellyfish was striking - such a simple setup but I became distracted by the out of focus highlight at the top of the glass. But shows what can be done with the most basic set imaginable! Lovely portrait of your daughter Steve - her pale face almost 'adrift' in the near-black background and nicely composed too.

But for me the winner is.... JMRead's Moxley scene - I did see that this is your own model layout and a fine one too, but the photo wins irrespective of that for the lovely quality, subtle colouring and of course the very nicely told little episode which I presume to be at least partly true! That was fun. Now over to you to set the new Theme.

Pete's jellyfish was striking - such a simple setup but I became distracted by the out of focus highlight at the top of the glass. But shows what can be done with the most basic set imaginable!

It was taken with a lensbaby sweet 35 which gives a sweet spot of focus so the edges are out of focus and has chromatic aberration giving the spectrums on some of the highlights, the result is how I intended the shot to look.

I was thinking of recreating this shot which used the same lens and more extention tubes.

Water on a lens by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

But I do agree with your choice of winner.

Pete

But for me the winner is.... JMRead's Moxley scene - I did see that this is your own model layout and a fine one too, but the photo wins irrespective of that for the lovely quality, subtle colouring and of course the very nicely told little episode which I presume to be at least partly true! That was fun. Now over to you to set the new Theme.

Thanks Ian, good of you, I did think the others and especially the glass 'dump' paperweight pic were very good indeed. I make my micro layouts mostly from card and paper, card sleepers for the plain track OO rail glued on to them, the wagons from artists mount board and paper, the loco from the same including the chassis, and the back scene made from photos taken in Sheffield.

A wall
49697334166_6462c8d738_z.jpg

Would that be OK for the next theme.

Cheers - J

Thanks Ian, good of you, I did think the others and especially the glass 'dump' paperweight pic were very good indeed. I make my micro layouts mostly from card and paper, card sleepers for the plain track OO rail glued on to them, the wagons from artists mount board and paper, the loco from the same including the chassis, and the back scene made from photos taken in Sheffield.

A wall
49697334166_6462c8d738_z.jpg

Would that be OK for the next theme.

Cheers - J

Yes! Just start a new thread with the theme and closing date. Fabulous picture btw, sets a high bar.. Ian.

Hello Ian,

Thanks for accepting the 'walls' and for your nice comment.
I do like to work on my stuff and as I recall I spent 2 or 3 hours on this one.
If it would help anyone reading this I would gladly to a little screen cast video on how to obtain Ps, how to set it up and how to use it as one would have done using an enlarger and hands under it.

Cheers - J

[edit] I could send it to anyone via WeTransfer together with the image that I used for the video

advertisement

Back