advertisement

Photo Theme 268 - 'Abandoned' - closing date: midnight 5th April 2020

ff1d1l

pfm Member
Photo Theme 268 - ‘Abandoned’ - closing date: midnight 5 April 2020

The theme is ‘Abandoned’. All meanings of abandon, and connotations, are acceptable – do check thesaurus.

2) Max dimensions 1000px (W) x 800px (H) per photo, to be displayed in line please, rather than linked.

Themes so far have been:

Cold; Unruly/disobedient; 4 Legged; My favourite Beauty Spot; Simple; Weather; Decay; Old & New; Rhythm; Motion; Portrait; Inside; Work, Rest or Play; Spring; Three; Light; Up; Charm; Feminine; Bokeh; Naked; Upside Down; Natural World; Square; Long Exposure; Sliding; Dream; Street; Autumnal; Night; Fish out of Water; Candid; Winterval; Hope; Portrait; Simplicity; Lines; Coast; Power; Bleak; Close up; Rock; Mechanical; Reflection; Two of; Abstract; Green; Humour; Curves; Fruit; Mother nature; Smooth; Neon; "on forever's very now we stand"; At the water's edge; "Out with the old, in with the new"; Warm; Stranger; Modern Life Is Rubbish; Still Life; Sparkling; Distant; Intertwine; Flow; Paths; Freedom; Numbers; Urban; Faces Everywhere; Beautiful Evidence; Angles; Static; Shadows; Darlin' Companion; Chill; Single Colour; Atmosphere; Isolation; Implementation; Texture; Hidden; Silhouettes; Leisure; Sphere of Influence; Yes; Set; White noise; Another Fine Mess; Industrial; Interstitial; From Above; Age; Tension; Top to Bottom; Evening; Comfort; Wind; Yellow; On your doorstep; Complex; Vanishing Point; Indulgence; After Dark; Gesture; Parking; Incongruous; Spring Has Sprung; Infrastructure; Commerce; On Two Wheels; Lush; Feet; Athletic; Water; Go; Lunch; Escapism; Pause; Uncovered; Beer; Window; Contrast; Time; Voluptuous; Numerous; Patience; Wood; Objets Trouvés; Signs; Highly Strung; Park life; Transport; Symmetry; Enterprise; Interaction; Walls; Folded; Distorted; The Look of Love; The last days of Summer; Looking Out; Rustic; Polly Wants A Cracker; Oops; Wet Wet Wet; Building; Relaxing; Line; Food; Moving Still; Triangle; Noise; Empty; Tranquillity; Discontinuous; Translucent; The eyes have it, Disproportionate, Doors, Revolution; Recreation; Impression(ist); At the Market; Eye; Your neighbourhood; Straight out of camera! Round; Portal; Transport; Shopping Madness; High or Low; Hands; Back to Basics; The Golden Hour; Character; Bath; Vertical; Anticipation; Bloom; Bliss; Small; Grand Day Out; Red; Highlight; Modern World; Speed; Family; Holidays; Remote; Orange; Grain; Hardware; Construction; Reflect; Grey; Desolate; Morning; For the Record; Out & About; Massive; Thirds; Food of Love; The Great Outdoors; Sharp; Rubbish; The Facility; Independence; Shapes Everywhere; Constant Variable; Labour; Before & After; Glass; Great Balls of Fire; Anything Goes; Song Titles; Up Close; Black & White; Look Up or Look Down; Sporting Action; Kaleidoscope of Colours; Less Is More; Sunlight; Horsepower; Feet in the Picture; Sand, Sea or Sky; Frame It; Steel; Low light; Wings; 4 Legged; Lawlessness / Disobedience; Crowded; Retail; Cold; Arches; Space; Movement; Anything Goes (twice in a row); Outside; Emergency Services; Work; Scorch; Tiny; Album cover; Non-linear; Fill the frame; Rust; Festive sprit; New beginning; Open (anything goes);Texture / Dominant Colour; Close to home; Favourite thing; Open; Portrait: Green in black and white; Large!; Below; Changing Seasons; Technology; Xmas Excess; A Sense of Scale; Tomorrow (diptych - abandoned); Up My Street

Redhall House, Craiglockhart, about 400m from where I live. Not sure what the original purpose of the building was but when we moved into the area 17 years ago it was still being used a training location for special needs teachers, and nearby was Redhall School for children with learning difficulties. But the school was demolished a couple of years later (along with the rather atttractive "Millenium Garden" that had been created only a few years before) and a new housing development went up - with 5 bedroom houses costing £900k - 1.1M. So Redhall house was bought by a developer with plans to turn it into luxury flats, but that fell through and its been empty ever since, and now its falling into dereliction and attracting the wrong kind of kids at night-time..... can't imagine the owners of the new houses overlooking it are terribly impressed!

Redhall+House+Abandoned.jpg

That's not all that far away from me (I'm in Balerno) but I wasn't aware that it was there. Tempted to wander down and take a version of it myself (maybe in black and white)!

Only two entries, but of very high quality. And of course over the time period of the theme, abandoned gained baggage and relevance with the CV lockdown.

I really like the colour, the abandoned building, and the juxtaposition with the modern development in the middle distance of the Redhall House image.

In the Bath Guildhall image, well you couldn't want more relevant, could you? Considered composition, and creamy monachrome graduations.

I think I couldn't get a fag paper between them as far as picking a favourite...but @martin clark and Bath Guildhall just, just edges it. Thank you both. Look forward to the next Theme.

Oh, thanks very much! I thought Alan's entry properly nailed the theme, great image with an unsettling edge, but there you go.
Mine taken with my old X100, straight reduction from camera.

I'll have a think and post a new theme thread later.

advertisement

Back