advertisement

Phono StageProblem.

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Now I think about it, I haven't actually played any vinyl for months, due to mobility issues. My system, and access to many of my records, requires me to bend or kneel, which is sort of out at the moment. Anyway... I digress..

This morning I intended playing some vinyl. Switched on my LFD amp and EAR 834 P phono stage.

There is an odd noise seemingly coming from the phono stage. It's not a mains hum..but more like the frequency of a road drill or an old British four stroke single motorbike cruising. The pitch is not high, but more 'low and throaty'. It is clearly heard to fade in and out as the PS is switched on and off.

All connections seem OK.

This leaves me with a couple of things to try...

Swap the valves out one at a time and visually inspect for signs of burning etc., internally. That's about the limit of my electronic skills.

Plug into a different input on amp.

After that I'm needing advice, or maybe send it back to EAR for a service. Thing is I had it serviced by them a year or so back and it has been fine and lightly used until now.

Any ideas?

Do you have a cordless phone nearby? Noise from the charging cradle for these can interfere with phono level signals.

Nothing that hasn't been there for years.. but I'll try disconnecting the land line and see what happens.

I don't know the EAR kit and think your first two checks looks sensible, but I have heard a broadly similar effect with my Superline phono - traced to my standing next to it with an iPhone in my pocket. i don't suppose...

Any powerline internet plugs installed? I had a similar issue with a Heed phono stage and couldn't get rid of the noise. Shame as it sounded good other than that.

No stray mobile phones. Disconecting the landline makes no difference. I have a couple of powerline adapters running ethernet via the mains from my Innuos to the router in the next room, but they haven't previously given trouble.

My powerline units caused a mild motorboat noise through my phono stage (Gold Note) and out through the system into the speakers. When I disconnected them the noise stopped. Certainly worth checking.

Thank you James Evans and Wine Man!!!

I switched on, got the noise, unplugged the nearest powerline adapter (Netgear thingies a few years old) and the noise stopped. Plugged it back in and the noise was gone! Result!
I've also unplugged my Innuos from the 'straight through' socket on the powerline adapter and plugged that into a spare socket.

All something of a motivator to get on with my plan to 'hard wire' Ethernet from my system to the router. I can re-purpose a redundant FM socket next to the system to get the Cat 6 or whatever out through the integral garage and round to where the broadband comes in. Ethernet socket next to that and job done.

Similar.. I live in quite a long house, unfortunately the router is at the front of house and the hifi & TV is at the opposite end. I got an installer to run a cable from router to outside, down the side of the house and back in again through an old aerial socket behind the TV. Seems rock solid now.

I had a similar problem while using those plug in wi-fi mains things .. It was like someone trying to contact me via morse code

Glad that solved it, sadly it didn't with the Heed I had, in fact removing the local powerline actually made it worse bizarrely enough. There's another powerline on the other side of the room though, and others around the house.

Had i thought ahead 20 years ago when we got all the electrics rewired I'd have got them to do ethernet in every room as well. There weren't quite so many internet enabled devices in the house back then though!

advertisement

Back