Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Phono stage

Discussion in 'audio' started by VVV, Apr 11, 2021.

1. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

I was extremely impressed with the World Designs Phono 3 DIY stage and psu. Can buy them pre-built too. Endless scope for tweaking too if that floats your boat, though stock it’s still superb.

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/phono stages.htm

2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

TBF, I don’t think Jez has done this. He’s not afraid to criticise what he sees as poor design, but I’ve never seen him run down the competition, and he gives plenty of credit where he sees what he considers good design.

3. VVV

VVV Active Member

Wow, so much options to consider.
    Thank you all!

4. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

Is Jez in the time-out room or something? :eek:

To the OP, I'm also in the US and bought a Cambridge 640 on Ebay UK without too much trouble; Jez is building me an Arkless Turbo phono stage. I'm looking forward it comparing it to the Dynavector P75 mk. 4 I have now, which I use in MM mode along with a Dynavector SUT and XX-2 mk. 2 cartridge.

Another phono stage that seems to get universally good reviews on here is the Tron Convergence, though it may be a bit over budget and hard to source Stateside.

5. the caretaker

the caretaker pfm Member

I use a cambridge audio 640p (unmodified) and it sounds pretty good..someone i know who has a 25k turntable uses a 640p ( unmodified ) when his boutique phono amp is being serviced..he also uses incredibly good amps and only listens to vinyl and the radio..says cds are rubbish..he says the 640p is very good for what it is..( high praise )

6. VVV

VVV Active Member

Hello,

How did you get in the list?
    Thank you

7. geoturbo

geoturbo pfm Member

8. VVV

VVV Active Member

Hello

I am not very familiar here.
    How does one send role contact Arckless?
    I don’t see PM option.
    I like to reach out to him and discuss options.
    Thank you for the kind offer to help!

9. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

If you click on the “Arkless” tag in my previous post, it should bring up his profile, you should then see a “start conversation” option where you can message him privately.

He has been a little scarce on here for a few days, I’m hoping all is well with him.

10. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Jez has been sent home for another month.........................

Big Tabs and linnfomaniac83 like this.
  11. linnfomaniac83

Ah okay... FWIW, he’s very good at what he does and I’d still recommend him (speaking as an engineer myself).

Big Tabs and Vinny like this.
  12. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

and he'll never change..............

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  13. linnfomaniac83

Haha, no he won’t. For his flaws, he’s a good guy, he’s helpful and he’s honest, I like him.

joe9407, Big Tabs and Vinny like this.
  14. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

He's too honest, if that's possible ;-)

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

And the pm option disappears until you’re let back in again, so the OP won’t be able to make contact until Jez is back.

16. Anh

Anh Naim ghetto blaster

One thing to bear in mind is the capacitance of the phono stage, in respect to your cartridge.

If you want a good low capictance mc/mm - try the Cambridge DUO. I had a Graham Slee Gram 2 MC stage and that was pretty good - dont be tempted to over spend though, snake oil and all that

17. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

Upon reflection you are right. I mistook him rating his own stage against others for a bit of sniping. Sorry Jez, even though you probably can't get on to read this.

18. VVV

VVV Active Member

yes, I have been searching to PM but couldn’t.
    I thought there was some sort of invite needed to contact him via PM.
    Thank you all !

19. Johnjo

Johnjo pfm Member

20. linnfomaniac83

I have seen being very complementary over certain products... I remember reading his thoughts on the Paradise phono stage, he rated that very highly.