advertisement

Phono stage upgrade

Tarzan

pfm Member
Help required please.... l will have an opportunity in the next couple of months to upgrade my phono stage in my den system; Gyro SE/AN Arm1/ Hana SL ( plus loads of other upgrades to the Gyro) this sounds utterly superb, my current phono stage is the Jez Arkless Turbo which is off the charts for VFM l feel...rest of the system is Vincent SV-237MK integrated amplifier (with upgraded valves) and ProAc Tablette 10, l would be open to suggestions up to £1500 or so however not too keen on SUTs, valve or SS and would like a musical sound with tight bass, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ps; Would prefer new so l could demo/home loan etc.:)

Lots of nice stuff in your price range, I don't have any first hand recommendations but I'm interested,( insert popcorn eating emoji )

Help required please.... l will have an opportunity in the next couple of months to upgrade my phono stage in my den system; Gyro SE/AN Arm1/ Hana SL ( plus loads of other upgrades to the Gyro) this sounds utterly superb, my current phono stage is the Jez Arkless Turbo which is off the charts for VFM l feel...rest of the system is Vincent SV-237MK integrated amplifier (with upgraded valves) and ProAc Tablette 10, l would be open to suggestions up to £1500 or so however not too keen on SUTs, valve or SS and would like a musical sound with tight bass, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ps; Would prefer new so l could demo/home loan etc.:)
You’re very close to second hand Aurorasound Vida which could be bought for around £1800 , is very good giving Paradise run for the money

What valves and SUTs do you not like, and why?

Buying wisely and used has two HUGE advantages over buying new - modest to huge saving and it can be sold at little or no loss, or even at profit if you drop very lucky.

In your new budget, you could try the following

Croft RS RIAA
TRON Convergence
Trilogy 906
Whest Two.2

Personally I would go for the TRON, as it's 90% of a true high end TRON phono stage (£5k +) for mid range money. Exquisite build quality and very good sound quality. Can be built to match your cartridge and made in Britain :)

Get your name on the RSL phono-stage loner list, you've got nothing to lose. It is very musical and well within budget. I liked it so much that I bought one.

Colin

Had a PM suggesting trying a tricked up EAR834P (poncy valves, iec inlet, phono sockets and changing a couple of internal bits) any thoughts chaps?

Does the baby Vida share anything from it's bigger brother or is it a completely different design?

Seems to be totally different. Not LCR but a combo of NF and CR type EQ. HiFi News reviewed it recently and were impressed. I’d love to try one.

Unfortunately my brand new Rega P8 is out of action after only one day of use due to the Apheta 2 now mistracking. Dealer advised increasing VTF but that made it worse if anything. Literally everything I buy is F+*£*& up in some way :sad face:

There’s a Trilogy 907 for sale on Art of Sound forum under your budget. No connection to the seller.

I have a 906 and love it!

advertisement

Back