advertisement

Phono stage recommendations

Does it work on the 540p I've got one going spare in the cupboard?

I had a Dino and liked it - moved to a Diablo + NCPSU and cable and am very happy :)

2nd hand would cost you £800 ish

The Arkless modded CA 640 stages offer unbeatable value.

It took me less than 5 minutes of listening to the 'basic' mod to upgrade from my Trichord.

the 'Turbo' version is reckoned to beat most stages around the £ 1K. bracket (for around £ 390 using a secondhand donor )

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/arkless-electronics-phono-stage/

....and me, I have had Naim boards, TEAD Microgroove plus and the Icon PS3 and would chose the Arkless over all three.

Long shot but if you can find a Clear Audio Basic LTD (not the standard which is nothing special) it's a tiny thing that I wish dearly I hadn't sold. Only valveless stage I could live with quite happily and I've heard most of what's being mooted.
I use a Quicksilver stage with SUT.

Lots of suggestions but when I did extensive testing a year or so ago I really couldn't better the Arkless 640 for under £1200. I doubt the OP will either.

Simon

Lots of suggestions but when I did extensive testing a year or so ago I really couldn't better the Arkless 640 for under £1200. I doubt the OP will either.

Simon

You can get better - however, you'll probably need a soldering iron and basic DIY build knowledge.

Simon, I assume that you're talking about new purchases - there are a lot of pretty amazing phono stages knocking around for £1000 2nd hand.

To the OP. Just buy the Michell Delphini that's currently on eBay - fantastic piece of kit (and nothing to do with me)

You can get better - however, you'll probably need a soldering iron and basic DIY build knowledge.

Simon, I assume that you're talking about new purchases - there are a lot of pretty amazing phono stages knocking around for £1000 2nd hand.

To the OP. Just buy the Michell Delphini that's currently on eBay - fantastic piece of kit (and nothing to do with me)

Yep, new prices.

Simon

Hi Gary
My own Naim dealer recommends the Moon 310LP phono stage, with the option of the 320S separate power supply. He suggested it to me in preference to a Naim Superline. He regards the 310 as slightly preferable in terms of sound quality but far better value at around £1500 for a new one.

I'm following this thread with interest as I'm also looking at a new phono stage for the Dynavector XX-2 as a step up from the P75 mk 2 that I currently have. The Naim Superline is an obvious choice for me, but it seems to need another supercap to get it on song. That makes it a £6k phonostage, which is quite a lot of money for this person...

The 310LP is very highly rated in the US, yet is rarely heard of in the UK. No idea why though.

Best regards, FT

advertisement

Back