advertisement

Phono stage for 401

clive7164

pfm Member
I have started to do drawings for a plinth for my soon to arrive 401 (basically the one in another thread in this section) and decided on an origin live modded 250 tonearm (no idea on cartridge yet) I will, by the look of it, have room to put phono stage inside and save space on my rack. Does anyone have any ideas on which one to use or construct to place inside. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a project phono box that i will probably use to get going but will need better one if the deck sounds as good as I hope thanks Clive Smith:

I have a 401 which is currently with Loricraft. It is being fitted with an Naim Aro arm and a Naim Prefix phono stage.

I have not yet heard the results, so possibley it is premature to offer advice.

However, if you have Naim amplification and like the Naim sound I would suggest to buy a Prefix. It is small and will easily fit under the Table.

If you have some other make of amp, I feel you might be better off tryinging a Loricraft phono stage because it was designed for the Garrards.

If you got patience, I will let you know what the prefix sounds like when it comes back from Loricraft which hopefully is this coming Friday.

Regards

Mick

bloody b******s!! just spent half an hour contributing to this post and tried to add a photo which proved to be too big then lost everything trying to get back!!

anyway i'll have to accept that as a cruel editing process:mad:

I have 401/OL silver 250 in 'high mass' mdf piano black plinth and having wrecked my 2nd H but unused AT OC9 whilst dusting needed a new cartridge.

Recently surprise' aquired a mint 401/sme 3009 in probably boomy sounding sme (nice looking though) plinth, so thinking of using spare plinth and creating spanking new deck with mint 401 and OL 250 replacing the OL with the sme arm on the ever so slightly battered existing 401.

I came by a DV 10x4 ll so thinking of that for old deck which I think will make a nice 401 'plug and play' starter package for some lucky initiate.

For the replacement 401 I'm led towards the Kontrapunkt B as a favourite contender for the OL.

Main concerns are firstly, its 6 x more than i've ever paid for a cart and with my history of cart abuse, well, i'll just have to be bloody careful but my second point was that there is no guard and when you see it real life it looks tiny, in fact my eyes must be so bad but I can't even see the stylus, hard to believe there is one there at all.

Moving away from Naim pre amp in my main system i'm also going to require a phono stage, i was prepared to get the Nad pp2 mc/mm, which includes ps for 44 quid, as a stop gap.

Just wondering what other recommendations there might be in the 'expensive when new but amazing bargain second hand' category that might suit my turntable combination and potential cart?

Thanks for starting this timely thread Clive.

:)

The main guys who like 401s seem to favour vlave phono stages. If you can pick up a cheap Croft Micro or Super Micro then you will have a very good phono stage plus something to plug a CD player into. For the money the Croft was ridiculously good.

The best I have ever heard myself is I think the old NVA solid state one, not many about but you might get lucky. The Audio Innovations Valve phono stage is highly regarded but I have never heard one.

Hi Fi World do a kit phono stage that they reckon is as good or better than the Audio Innovations one but then they would wouldn't they?

Originally posted by Paul Duerden
The Audio Innovations Valve phono stage is highly regarded but I have never heard one.
I've heard the Audio Patrol 500 (with phono stage) modified by Border Patrol and it's very good. Mind you, we're starting to talk money for that one.

Steve

Hi

I own a Audio Innovations P2 phono stage. I do find it very enjoyable to listen to. They are not that common and usually go for over £550 2nd hand. I have seen one up for £1000. I got mine 2nd hand. Mine have built in stepped transformers & has been moddified. The power supply has been configured to a choke input design.

I too have heard & used various croft pre amps. Paul D is correct. The phono stage works very well. Croft have been making pre amps since the early 80s so you may be able to pick them up cheaply.

I own a Garrard 401 (in my collection). I have used this to good effect with a Croft Vitale. I have used a Ear Phonostage to good effect. The EAR can be picked up 2nd hand for under £300.

Of the above, I prefer the Audio Innovations P2 as this is more detailed & natural sounding. It doesn't sound soft in the extremes & has a tight tuneful bass & good sense of dynamics. The downside is that it is very wide. Wider than standard amps.

I hope to be having a look (listen) at some other phono stages soon. The Trichord & the Tom Evans will be the first port of call.

As for phono stages that can be fitted in a plinth, you could look at a Graham Slee design. I haven't had any experience of one but have heard a number of good reports.

Have a look here for details.

Dean

Originally posted by SCIDB
I hope to be having a look (listen) at some other phono stages soon. The Trichord & the Tom Evans will be the first port of call.
Hi Dean

I'm currently using the EAR 834P phono with Tim de Paravicini step-up transformer. The sound is very smooth and laid back but I feel that I am losing some detail. I am interested in the Tom Evans phono stage.

Would you post back with your impressions once you have auditioned this?

Thanks
Steve

Some good suggestions, I'd like to find a Croft, Paul. Thought I had but turned out to be the full Croft pre amp.

Just missed a P2. Dean, that link you provided is a 'pandora's box', if you are in 'Groove' territory you wanna have a word with Graham at www.gtaudio.com about the Verdier phono stage.

Never realised there were so many choices of phono stages, not something I have considered before.

Steve D

The hunt is on! wild flailing all over the place.

Anyone familiar with Densen OP-02 MC phono stage?

I know there a quite a few Densen fans out there.

Steve

flippin eck!

there's a lot of phono stages out there, valve, solid state, Brit, American, German, Danish.

What are the logical steps to take when considering which one to choose?

I understand that many Garrard 401 owners go for valve phono stages but should one base it on the choice of cartridge or the combination of deck, arm, cart?

low output mc or high output mc seems to be one way of differentiating but if buying 2nd hand and maybe from afar with no opportunity to dem then it is relying on others experience and opinions together with the intuitive approach relied upon by many a second hand punter, ah the thrill of the chase.

I'd like to spend as little as possible but have found so far:-

Rotel RQ 970 BX phono pre amp 80
Musical Fidelity X-LPS phono stage 99
moth mm/mc with separate psu 150
Michell ISO Phono Stage 250
McCormack Phono Stage New and Boxed 399
Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE new & boxed 449
Cary 301 Two box valve phono stage,for MM or MC. £700

Can anyone help me focus a bit, i'm creating two options based on Garrard 401, one with OL Silver 250 arm and probable Ort. Kontrapunkt B and the other with RB300 and probable Dynavector 10x4ii.

Anyone know whereabouts of any Crofts?

Reason for my sudden surge of interest in a seperate phono stage is the imminence of my A'dale Grad 1 pre amp which i'll use with 135's initially.

Money is an issue but i've got kit to sell to cover any overspend of my original budget of 400 for something 2nd hand and I have decided that sound result is king.

Probably have to be quick too as my choices may diminish as stuff is sold.

Appreciate any feedback, Steve

;)

Effinity

I use the Densen DP02 and the sound is very good indeed, it improved further when I built a power supply for it which is basically just a 360VA Antrim transformer in a box.

The downside is that bulbs whch power the solar cells blow at least once a year and the board has to go back to Densen to be fixed. Thus I am for a time without vinyl replay at least once a year. Even though Densen fix it without charge this is still annoying.

advertisement

Back