advertisement

Phono stage EQ settings, vs Tilt on a digital equaliser

jamington2004

pfm Member
Can anyone tell me the difference between the EQ settings on a phono stage (changing resistance from 47k to 15k 1k 200 100 50 10 ohms etc) - and using tilt controls like I used to have on my meridian dsp6000 and now have on my Dspeaker antimode 2.0

I am soon to replace the latter, for an M2 tech Joplin ADC phono stage with preset EQ like examples above, but I will lose out on the tilt /loudness/bass adjustment on the Dspeaker which I quite like to tinker with sometimes for late night listening, or to beef up a thin recording / add some sparkle to a dull one.

As I recently learned that lowering the resistance on a phono stage from say 1000 to 100, is simply increasing bass and reducing treble (?) - I guess I will only ever get 'tilt'..... but in a nutshell is it the same thing as I am doing with my Dspeaker EQ controls?

Thanks for any expert advice, preferably of the variety geared toward tehnical simpletons :)

Kind regards
Jamie

I am no expert but they are NOT the same thing. What you hear MAY be similar.

Lucky you to have all those knobs to fiddle with.

A blessing and a curse. I could never live with a full width equaliser it would drive me insane wondering which one of the gazillion settings I think sounds best! ;)

Chances are a load or capacitance mismatch manifests itself as a fairly narrow-band peak, so a Quad-style 'tilt' isn't going to fix it. Best to fix with correct loading for sure.

Thanks. I am looking more the other way round. I will set the phono to match my cart at 200 ohms.... but then should I need to spruce up the sound at any time, would changing these settings up or down give me the same as the tilting up or down I currently do with the DSPeaker?

Or probably too precise a change between the limited phono stage options to be flexible enough to bother?

Of course the obvious answer is to just try it - which I will, but just wondering in theory I suppose......

Loading isn't as simple as tonal shaping, it impacts dynamics etc too. Personally I'd keep unnecessary digital processing as far away from analogue replay as possible unless you are using a fully digital signal path, e.g. Devialet. If you have different load settings available try them all and just pick the one that sounds the best! Worth trying again after a month or so with a new cart as they do take time to bed in so you may find you prefer a slightly different setting, but chances are you'll stay with the initial choice.

He is using the Devils speakers...

Jam check our the hagtech website for an explanation of cart loading. Essentially you are only damping the high frequencies. However the chance in balance of the sound may make the bass relatively more prominent.

Changing the riaa for another another eq setting is more akin to a narrow band tilt adjustment, at two frequencies.

Yes Tony I am doing the old AD DSP DA from TT to Devialet Phantoms. Was extremely hesitant before taking the plunge a couple of years back but love it - especially having upgraded TT and cart a couple of times since

My new phono stage will have much more accessible settings so can play away with ease as you suggest

And Simon (?) I will check that site when I have some time thanks (and thanks for chipping in several times on several threads and PMs recently - much appreciated :)

Having tried a few EQ settings on the new stage - clearly not a replacement for tone controls. Too subtle and too limited to be useful in that way

As suggested above :)

advertisement

Back