advertisement

Phono stage advice please, for Rega Kit

Eddie Teflon

pfm Member
Hello - I've recently had a change around with my kit and now have an RP3 which is being fitted with an Exact as we speak and the TT-PSU.

I'm running this with RS5's through an old Elicit amp (Mk2 I think - just got it second hand).

I know diddly squat about phono stages and wonder what I would need to spend to improve upon the Elicit? I'm guessing the old phono stages are pretty good?

Was thinking about the Rega Fono MM because of the synergy and price - but would this be much of an improvement? Also saw Salience LP2.0MKII Phono Preamplifier - stood out again because of price and separate power supply?

Any thoughts and advice is very welcome - want to improve what I have, but don't want it to be overkill for my deck (which I plan to upgrade the sub platter on sometime).

Thanks.......

From memory, the circuit in the Fono is the same as in the Elicit. If you're using an MM cart, I doubt you'll find much better.

From memory, the circuit in the Fono is the same as in the Elicit. If you're using an MM cart, I doubt you'll find much better.
Thanks for your input - even if the Elicit is is around 15 years old? (maybe its the Mk1)? Sorry for the vagueness - bought it off my dad's mate with little info!

http://www.audiovideoland.com/images/r_03/avl_3660-1.jpg

Although I'm looking for an upgrade, I'm not fussed if it's only going to be minimal for £200.

The Elicit is a really good amp with an excellent MM stage - not sure that £200 will do that much more for you. Just buy some more music with it.

Thanks for your comments. Perhaps I'll just save my cash to put towards a Rega DAC in the future. Or a Groovetracer Subplatter....??? Any thoughts on the latter?

Don't know the Groovetracer, although I would be inclined to go for an upgrade to a P5/P7 instead myself. The DAC is really good however. I owned one for a while and really liked it.

The Groovetracer subplatter is a nice upgrade and will stay an upgrade also for a P5. I don't know about the P7 though. The Groovetracer acrylic platter I didn't like, it messed up the bass more than it cleaned up the top end compared to the glass platter and felt mat.

You seem intent on spending your money? Don't.
Listen to what you have for a while, then make the improvements where you think they may be required. Try to get to hear other systems and invite others to listen to yours. There is no 'short cut' to a good system, primarily because we all have quite different views on what constitutes good. That is always reflected in the range of answers you get to a question like this.

However just to confuse matters, my advice would be:
Don't go for the Exact unless into a Rega phono. Even then I might consider others.
An upgrade sub platter is almost always a positive move, but subtle non the less. The Groovetracer is not cheap, but can be easily sold on separate to the deck. P7's have a metal sub platter already. Consider the Isokinetic model which is cheaper and not subject to potential import duties.
The TT-PSU is a good move.
You must get the deck level and on a wall shelf. Especially if your floor is wooden.

You seem intent on spending your money? Don't.

Fair point - just that I've been given some cash for my birthday. And wanted to either spend it or aim for something before it dwindles away! And want to tell peeps what I'm doing with their cash gifts..

Listen to what you have for a while, then make the improvements where you think they may be required. Try to get to hear other systems and invite others to listen to yours. There is no 'short cut' to a good system, primarily because we all have quite different views on what constitutes good. That is always reflected in the range of answers you get to a question like this.

All of my kit is virtually new to me and I'm just loving it so much. Still haven't positioned my speakers properly yet or got any decent cable (using Cable Talk 3.1). Trying to demo some, but nowhere local has anything to demo. Thinking comparing Rega's Quattro against Chord Odyssey 2.....

However just to confuse matters, my advice would be:
Don't go for the Exact unless into a Rega phono. Even then I might consider others.
An upgrade sub platter is almost always a positive move, but subtle non the less. The Groovetracer is not cheap, but can be easily sold on separate to the deck. P7's have a metal sub platter already. Consider the Isokinetic model which is cheaper and not subject to potential import duties.
The TT-PSU is a good move.
You must get the deck level and on a wall shelf. Especially if your floor is wooden.

I have the TT-PSU and wall bracket. Had a problem with the tonearm on my RP3 and Rega have very kindly offered the Exact as a free upgrade! Fantastic customer service! I guess I'll wait to see how this sounds and sit patient and hide the cash from the wife!!

advertisement

Back