advertisement

Phono preamps with digital S/PDIF outputs / ADCs with RIAA?

vln

Shuns mooks. And MQA.
Guys,

Do you know of any phono pres which have digital S/PDIF outputs? (not just USB)

So far I only came across four:

1.) Leema Agena

2.) Burmester 100

3.) PS Audio NuWave Phono

4.) M2 Tech Joplin

1.) and 2.) are a bit OTT for my needs, 3.) looks interesting though it comes from a company that also sells expensive mains cables etc., so not sure if I want to own a product from a company like that, and 4.) has an external wall wart PSU, which I'd like to avoid.

Anything I missed? Maybe from the pro sector?

Cheers,
Samuel

I'm pretty sure the Metric Halo ULN can do direct RIAA as part of its ADC stack. I own one but I've never tried that feature (if it has it). Merlin would be able to confirm.

I'm pretty sure the Metric Halo ULN can do direct RIAA as part of its ADC stack. I own one but I've never tried that feature (if it has it). Merlin would be able to confirm.

Also the Sonic Studio with the additional software package will act as a phono stage. I looked into both as a means of ripping my LPs but felt that I'd never get around to it.

Cheers,

DV

Certainly with the ULN8 you could implement any equalisation curve you desired, the Joplin is a lot simplet to use though, and completely transparent.
Keith.

As Greg says the MH ULN-2 does indeed offer the facility, although I've not used it - I used the software EQ in my Pure Vinyl software on the Mac Mini.

Right now I am using analogue EQ simply because the cartridge I have seems to prefer the adjustable loading that it provides. A previous cartridge gave excellent results straight into the UNL-2.

The MH is of course a D/A, A/D and headphone amp all in one, plus it has enormous potential for fine tuning the sound with Dsp. Finally it can be run off batteries.

It is possible to "load' the cartridge by adding resistors to your phono leads, the sound quality did improve with the cartridge loaded.
Keith.

It is possible to "load' the cartridge by adding resistors to your phono leads, the sound quality did improve with the cartridge loaded.
Keith.

Thanks Keith, I'd never considered that.

PITA though really - easier for me to go the traditional way if I'm honest. I for instance prefer different loadings depending on the deck I'm using. It's a tone control and having some nice dip switches is more user friendly than changing resistors etc somewhere along the cables.

I agree I ended up using a traditional phono ,the sound through the ULN8 was extremely quiet ,but very dry.
Keith.

The sound using the Pure Vinyl software RIAA and the Mac Mini is superb really, and if I loaded the cart then it would probably be close enough.

Besides which, you can apply the Vintage Tube Pre plug in on the Mixer and that gives you all the extra body you might want.

advertisement

Back