advertisement

Phono preamp with passive preamp...?

darkmatter

pfm Member
Many phono stages do not offer enough gain to work effectively with passive pre-amps

One is the Jolida JD9 which offers quite a sizeable amount of gain and would appear to work

Specs

What other phono stages which may be either gain adjustable or have a higher output level to higher than normal levels can members suggest?

Budget up to £750 new or S/H

Thanks

Simon :)

Quad 24p. Designed by Tim DeParavinci, had switchable levels of gain on both mm and mc inputs plus fixed and variable outputs and a volume pot. Most flexible stage I know, sounds good too. £750 should get a fine sh one.

I've suffered from this a bit, partly through using a very low output cart. The Rega Aria reputedly has stacks of gain, which is switchable. At considerably lower cost, my experience of the Arkless/Cambridge stage was that it had a pretty hot output - certainly more than my usual Clearaudio.

This is an outstanding phono stage and is up there with the TE Groove+ at £4K. You very rarely see them come up for sale as the owners hold onto them.

Yours for around your budget

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=154062

I plug mine straight into the power amps as the Fein has its own volume control. Yes I've tried it with and without a pre-amp and it sounds better straight into the PA's.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back