advertisement

Phono plugs for DIY cable making.

Puggie

pfm Member
I have run out of Neutrik/Rean cheapie phono plugs and need to make up a couple of cables.

Any suggestions on alternatives, or just buy more of the same. A friend of mine swears by the Eichmann bullet plugs which I think are KLE branded now. Are they worth the money? I will probably just be using a generic Belden, Klotz, VanDamme type mic cable with screen at one end only.

My last lot were made with Belden 8402 and the Neutrik cheapie plugs with the 8 segment ground terminal. I find these a bit tight on the rca sockets, but otherwise are great.

Thanks for any thought.

Bullet plugs are actually fairly poorly made, and if you want those sorts of improvements for a premium price it's better to go with WBT nexgen plugs & sockets (or clones of). Unfortunately it's the socket end where the magic is so impractical if the equipment chassis doesn't suit.

I can't see me ever using anything but Neutrik ProFi, unless they are discontinued at some stage.

As of now, I have not checked, but Studio Spares were the cheapest by a reasonable margin.

The Rean equivalent of the Switchcraft 3502 is NYS352. Electrically and mechanically there are likely to be no real differences between these, however, I prefer the far superior finish of the Rean.

Step up to Rean NYS373 and you have all of the quality of Neutrik Pro-Fi, less the make/break ground first feature (which, arguably, no one really needs for home audio use). The thing I like most about these is the same Neutrik chuck type strain relief that simply clips on within, as well the ability of these plug assemblies to cleanly accommodate cable diameters from 3.5 - 6mm; shrink-wrap need not apply here. As mentioned previously, these can be quite tight fitting on RCA socket rings, whereas, the Pro-Fi outer ring design allows for smoother on/off (Pro-Fi self-tightens during insertion).

Speaking of the Pro-Fi outer ring design, Rean have recently introduced a new model under the series description 'Finger Groove', specifically RF2C. These appear to be otherwise similar to NYS373, but with an outer ring cut like that of Pro-Fi (less the make/break ground first). These also feature a reshaped shell design with stylized 'finger grooves' hence the series name. RF2C are what Rega are using on their current Couple 3 interconnects.

Rean NYS352 (available in nickel, gold or black plated shell with nickel or gold plated contacts):
14696-NYS352BG.jpg

Rean NYS373 (black plated housing, gold plated contacts and blue, green, black, red, yellow, or white band):
14700-NYS373-2.jpg

Rean 'Finger Groove' RF2C (available in nickel or black plating with gold plated contacts and colour coded boot):
15185-RF2C-B-0.jpg
15186-RF2C-B-2.jpg

The Rean equivalent of the Switchcraft 3502 is NYS352. Electrically and mechanically there are likely to be no real differences between these, however, I prefer the far superior finish of the Rean.

Rean is Chinese I think if that matters to some people...

Gonna throw a completely unjustifiable personal prejudice in, I just don't like gold connectors.

TBH, it's not just connectors in gold, anything in gold....:p

Gonna throw a completely unjustifiable personal prejudice in, I just don't like gold connectors.

TBH, it's not just connectors in gold, anything in gold....:p
You can have the Rean NYS352 in nickel on nickel. Still nicer finished than the Switchcraft.

14707-NYS352.jpg

Blimey Vinny and I agree on something, Pro- fi plugs. I use them because I find that they wet out particularly well when soldering, lesser plugs tend to need more heat I assume its the quality of the surface finish, maybe its just better production cleanliness.?

While I grumble and curse Really Crap Always plugs every time I'm forced to use them (obviously a lot) - the ProFi is in the practical world the best I know of. The WBT nexgen system is clearly superior -but really only makes sense if you can plug a nexgen male into a nexgen female socket -expensive but the the best Really Crap Always connection you can make.

These also have the little side lugs which better accommodate variations in socket OD.
I noticed when copying the link for that nickel one that it was the only one of the NYS352 pics that had these wee spring tabs/'side lugs'. Perhaps they are in the process of changing over to these across the range.
Blimey Vinny and I agree on something, Pro- fi plugs. I use them because I find that they wet out particularly well when soldering, lesser plugs tend to need more heat I assume its the quality of the surface finish, maybe its just better production cleanliness.?
Yeah, they're a cinch to solder. :D

advertisement

Back