advertisement

Phono cables

albany

pfm Member
Is there a cable that enables a turntable output to connect to the balanced input of a phono preamp ??

I assume it would be a DIN plug at the TT end and a pair of XLR plugs at the amp end or is that not possible ??

Sorry if this is a dumb question !

I think you’ve answered your own question. You need a cable that connects to your tone arm output, that splits to two XLRs rather than the more usual two RCAs. I’m not sure what benefits that could bring though? - unless, of course, that’s the only input type your stage accepts! I’m sure someone else might know.

I did look at the obvious cable suppliers but could not find a tonearm cable that spilts into two XLRs at the amp end. I think it may be due to some single ended/balanced signal issue ??

Yes, you can buy phono cables which terminate in XLR plugs. Quite a few offer it as a choice. In theory it should work better than a single ended design as a cartridge has a balanced output. You may find this quite interesting.

https://www.phasemation.com/product/t-2000.html

I'm sure there may be advocates of the single ended design that may dispute this, FWIW I haven't tried an XLR terminated phono cable or a phonostage with an XLR input.

If using a (rare!) genuinely balanced input phono stage then be careful to check the arm wiring system used. A few (Rega for example) use one of the "signal wires" for arm grounding and make it unsuitable for balanced use without modification. Also some carts connect one channel ground pin (now not used as a ground in a balanced set up) to a metal screen which can contact the arm ground via the headshell in some cases. Beyond that then obviously you just need a way of connecting the cart so you have Red + and Green - for right channel and White +, Blue - for left channel without any of these having any connection to ground and then a separate ground shielding these and preferably connecting to arm ground. Minimum 5 core cable then.

If using a (rare!) genuinely balanced input phono stage then be careful to check the arm wiring system used. A few (Rega for example) use one of the "signal wires" for arm grounding and make it unsuitable for balanced use without modification. Also some carts connect one channel ground pin (now not used as a ground in a balanced set up) to a metal screen which can contact the arm ground via the headshell in some cases. Beyond that then obviously you just need a way of connecting the cart so you have Red + and Green - for right channel and White +, Blue - for left channel without any of these having any connection to ground and then a separate ground shielding these and preferably connecting to arm ground. Minimum 5 core cable then.
Spot on… on Rega arms, the fixed nature of the arm cable would necessitate modification anyway. It’s possible to fit a DIN socket in the base and then use any arm lead you like. I would make a cable up using Van Damme tour grade XKE Classic. It’s excellent quality stuff with a decent shield and rugged conductors and it’s highly flexible which is very advantageous with a suspended deck… oh and it’s cheap. I’ve used it in rugged live environments for years now and I haven’t found anything better.

https://www.designacable.com/van-damme-tour-grade-classic-xke-microphone-cable.html

Any cable of the correct requirements will do just fine ie 2 lengths of 2 core with screen. Be careful to avoid a ground loop hence connect ground at TT/arm to only one of the cable screens.

To be more specific I am thinking of trying out the Accuphase C-47 phono stage which is, apparently, a full balanced design with an XLR balanced input. My TT is a Technics and I use a Dynavector cart and a stock DIN to 2 RCA cable to my preamp.

The Atlas cable I use has a separate earth lead that I connect at the preamp end. I assume the TT itself is earthed via the TT power supply.

So I imagined that all I had to do was find a DIN cable with 2 XLR connectors in place of the RCA. Clearly it is not so simple and no stock cable seems to exist which suggests I would have to have one made up so thanks for the info you have provided.

Any recommendations for a bespoke cable supplier ?

Thanks all.

Any cable of the correct requirements will do just fine ie 2 lengths of 2 core with screen. Be careful to avoid a ground loop hence connect ground at TT/arm to only one of the cable screens.
My liking for the XKE is because it’s rugged, flexible, easy to prep and it’s little more than £1 a meter, it’s hugely better than “free in the box” type cable.

Cardas, Nordost, Atlas , Zavfino, Kimber, Phasemation all make what you are looking for, there's probably loads more too.

Affordable and available

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25327226...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
That looks like a good cable.

My previous forest into balanced MC connection was with MF MX-Vynil, which had a really difficult to work with mini-DIN for balanced input, with a custom pinin. I replaced it with a regular size multi-pin neutrik XLR - and it worked well.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back