advertisement

Phone for camera

eternumviti

Insufficient privileges to reply.
Undoubtedly asked many times before, but I really need, albeit very unwillingly, to get a smartphone. As that time has come, I would like to base my choice upon the camera. I have also found that instagram no longer accepts postings from anything but a phone (LR Lightroom for PC/Mac doesn't work any more, as Instagram have disabled the functionality for some reason), so I need to be able to upload photos from my PC to the phone so that I can post to instagram.

I need;

1) A high quality camera that will take high quality RAW files, not just algorithmed native stuff.
2) A phone into which I can upload files from my PC
3) That it is under no circumstances an i-anything. I won't buy Apple.
4) Anything above £20 a month makes me a bit twitchy. I would consider buying and going SIM only, £500 tops. I'm used to buying old Nokias for £20. Second hand is fine.

I've looked at the comparison sites, but their review findings contrast so strongly that they must be in the pockets of the manufacturers. One review's top best ever phone is another review's two bit mongrel mutt, regularly.

Any insight would be welcomed.

Oh, and the battery charge would need to last longer than 4 minutes. My old Nokias are still good for a week, even with old and half-knackered batteries.

I have also found that instagram no longer accepts postings from anything but a phone (LR Lightroom for PC/Mac doesn't work any more, as Instagram have disabled the functionality for some reason), so I need to be able to upload photos from my PC to the phone so that I can post to instagram.

Posting to Instagram from Google Chrome

1) open Instagram page
2) rightclick and select Inspect
3) then at top of code window, select Toggle Device button, looks like a phone resting on the corner of an ipad (or use Ctrl + Shift + M)
4) refresh page using chrome

Now the bulk of your screen looks like a mobile device and all Instagram mobile functions including upload are available

To switch back just retoggle device and refresh page

Ok, got it David. I tried this yesterday following instructions on the web, but missed the all-important 'refresh page' bit. Brilliant, thank you.

Just as well a solution was found, because your requirements were, I’d say, not possible.

Just as well a solution was found, because your requirements were, I’d say, not possible.

Really? I keep hearing great things about phone cameras.

It would be good to have a camera in my pocket all the time, and I do need some of the functions that a smartphone offers, especially when travelling.

I agree, I would suggest doubling your budget. It has only been the recent generation of phones that has the array of lenses to step up to the quality you are looking for. The earlier generations are ok, but not the top notch quality you appear to be looking for.

I've retired my Nokia 6310i and purchased a Huawei P20 Pro. The camera is very good, however, saying that, I'm not getting on with taking pictures at arms length.

I've retired my Nokia 6310i and purchased a Huawei P20 Pro. The camera is very good, however, saying that, I'm not getting on with taking pictures at arms length.

Yes, it is my 6310i that is going into the retirement drawer too, at least if I do this. I had a look at P20 Pros this morning, they seem to be at around the £500 mark. I have also seen S/H Galaxy S9s starting at around £300, any recommendations?

I should imagine the arms-length picture-taking process takes some getting used to. It always looks so awkward and unnatural.

FWIW I‘m constantly amazed by the quality I can get from my iPhone 6S, so much so I haven’t used my Fuji X-Pro1 for a couple of years now! I’d just buy the best iPhone you can afford, Apple really seem to know what they are doing with both phone cameras and the camera app. I suspect my next phone will be the premium X/XS line as the camera in those things is just incredible!

Ok. So holding a phone/camera at arms length isn’t natural, but holding a hulking great box against your face, head turned slightly to one side is?

:)

Toby, I'm a bit of a luddite regarding these camera phones. They're akin to my generations Olympus Trip and cigarette lighter. They're the Polaroid in ones pocket.

My daughter who used Apple iPhones for years and got fantastic images out of it. So much so, I would look at them and give an exasperated, really!

I've just texted her and asked what the current gadget is. She's moved over to a "One Plus, " and is very pleased with its image output.

Ok. So holding a phone/camera at arms length isn’t natural, but holding a hulking great box against your face, head turned slightly to one side is?

I suspect I’m unusual in that I hate camera viewfinders and find a good high-res flat screen a total revelation by comparison! I wear glasses and have never owned a camera where I could see to the corners of the viewfinder, plus I really don’t like the whole ‘looking through a tube’ thing. I far prefer the waist-level finder of a medium format camera to a conventional SLR or rangefinder. Both a waist-level or LCD offer a level of detachment and better ability to view the image as a ‘final result’ to my mind. The only negative is it can be hard to see a camera screen in bright sunlight, though I live in Greater Manchester so this is largely irrelevant.

SWMBO was persuaded by daughters that she should have a 'camera phone'. She was using a Lumix compact which is getting very long in the tooth but I was keen for the camera function of any phone to be as 'compact camera' like as possible.

I bought a discontinued Sony Z5 on an Amazon warehouse deal for under £200 and it fits the bill perfectly, having a shutter release button and zoom function (otherwise volume control) which fall right under the index finger of the right hand when holding the phone in landscape mode.

I could never understand the business of poking the screen to release the shutter!

Jim

SWMBO was persuaded by daughters that she should have a 'camera phone'. She was using a Lumix compact which is getting very long in the tooth but I was keen for the camera function of any phone to be as 'compact camera' like as possible.

I bought a discontinued Sony Z5 on an Amazon warehouse deal for under £200 and it fits the bill perfectly, having a shutter release button and zoom function (otherwise volume control) which fall right under the index finger of the right hand when holding the phone in landscape mode.

I could never understand the business of poking the screen to release the shutter!

Jim
Apple phones can 'release shutter' by poking the screen. But you can also use buttons on the side too!

:)
Tony, this is more about me and how I visualize things composition wise. I like viewfinders, be it waist level or rangefinder and these modern EVF's and their WYSIWYG are absolutely incredible!

These modern phones are very versatile. They come feature-packed and great for documenting everyday life, allowing one to feed images to social media networks, instantly, in the blink of an eye.

True story. Yesterday I was in the local park killing time before an appointment at the Drs.

I was photographing the Cenotaph's brass plaques with our distant family members name on it. As I wandered down the hill out of the park I was asked by a couple of park workers, who were busy mixing some fresh concrete, if I was working for the local newspaper? "No, why?" "Just been watching you walk backward and forwards and taking various pictures from different angles." They'd installed an upgraded memorial to a VC medal holder on the 5th, and it'd been vandalized during the night and thought It'd make a feature for the newspaper. I went ahead and photographed it, and subsequently submitted it via the mail website when I got home. Now, I'm sure those two guys would've had a camera phone that could've done the job there and then.

People's perceptions and the "brick" camera gave them the impression that I was a pro. :) I need to embrace the gadget in my pocket.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back