advertisement

Philps CDM Mech 'Nextel Ring' Repair (Naim CDS)?

Caledon1297

pfm Member
(Not sure if this should go in Classic or DIY... oh well, here goes)

The Nextel ring on my Naim CDS (which has reached its quarter century :eek:) is worn, and is suffering from the (not uncommon) problem of the disc slipping during attempts to skip tracks, when using the correct single-ring (or double-ring) Top Hat puck; it does work with the puck 5, but contrary to what some other people find, the playback is not as musically satisfying to my ears (I've always struggled to gain much musical satisfaction from CD in general, and the CDS remains the most satisfying that I've heard (even if it's still not as good a vinyl), so I would be keen to have the CDS performing at its best, if possible).

I've seen previous threads referring to cutting out a rubber ring, or using a yo-yo washer, but wondered If there is a way of repairing the Nextel ring itself, to restore normal operation with the single-ring puck?

(Presumably, given its age, and heavy use over the years, both the head unit & PSU would benefit from a service, but there seems little point contemplating such as thing if the mech is not working optimally?)

I’d try a pair of rubber gloves to cut the ring out of? Always meant to, but sound difference on my CDM9 based CDIs was never different for me between 2 rubber rings and 4 on the clamp.

I used a small, ca 5 mm piece of plastic foam between the disc and the magnetic clamp when I had a CDS as it often slipped, even when nearly new. Cost nothing to try.

advertisement

Back