advertisement

Phasemation Cartridges at Ammonite Audio

Shuggie

Trade: Ammonite Audio
Ammonite Audio is now officially retailing Phasemation cartridges. Phasemation is one of those Japanese manufacturers that has actually been around for yonks (previously called Phase Tech) but here in the UK pretty much unknown, until now,

The cartridges are all moving coil designs with milled aluminium bodies, boron cantilevers and line contact styli. The range starts with the PP-300 which we are retailing for £1450 including VAT and UK delivery. The rest of the range consists of the PP-500 at £2050, PP-1000 at £2950 and topping out with the PP-2000 at £4075. All are medium compliance designs that will work well with most arms, except very high mass designs. the new Timestep T-609, T-610 and T-612 ‘banana’ arms are perfect partners.

I have the PP-300 here and available for home demonstrations, and before long I will offer the PP-500 for home dems too.

What’s so special about Phasemation? The entry level PP-300 is very well priced but its physical quality is rare even at this price level – the appearance and packaging are beyond reproach, but don’t think you’re paying unnecessarily for bling here – what you get is jewel like workmanship and very high specifications. So many modern moving coil cartridges have a bright and hyper-detailed presentation that may be initially impressive, but which is not necessarily musically truthful, nor particularly enjoyable – the PP-300 impresses immediately with very low groove noise (a refreshing trait) and a sweet, detailed sound that is well extended and defined in the higher frequencies without being stressful. Its musical character is delicate and fluid, and in my experience only the (rather more expensive) Miyajimas offer greater musical insight and expression.

All Phasemation cartridges bought from us qualify for a complimentary examination, cleaning and adjustment service, which can be carried out at any time up to 2 years from the date of purchase.

I will be arranging some UK reviews soon, but if you are looking for a new moving coil cartridge that plays real music well, has a modern character, but without a stressful and aggressive top end, then get in touch to arrange a home demonstration. I think the Phasemation cartridges offer a refreshing blend of quality, musicality and price.

Here is our dem PP-300, sitting in a Timestep ebony headshell, Timestep T-609 tonearm, on our tweaked Technics SL-1200GR turntable:

Ltj0H8Q.jpg

See the range here (I'll add all the models shortly) https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product-category/cartridges/phasemation/

advertisement

Back