advertisement

pfm Record Shop gradings

Move the pfm Record Shop to Discogs grading?

• Yes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Doesn't feedback give a good indication of a seller's grading? My experience has been good as a buyer, but it must be said I buy very little vinyl. Nothing but good feedback as a seller but that's probably because I grade carefully (and I sell few records below near mint anyway).

With reference to using Discogs as a Buyer - If the record is something I want that is expensive and hard to get hold of I will try to engage the Seller in some discussion before paying. I ask the Seller to check the condition as the record is a gift for someone. I have had several instances were the record in question was not quite as described, condition-wise, so I was able to get the sale cancelled. I don’t bother for cheap stuff, just ride that wave of Maybe.

The whole of my life is in the top two or three grades, I have absolutely no use for ‘VG’, ‘Fair’, ‘Poor’ etc. That is all ‘Landfill’ grade to my mind. I actually end up junking a lot.

May I suggest you don't. Some of this stuff is rare and listenable. There must be a marketwhere music lovers can buy music, as opposed to one where everything is perfect. I'd guess music lovers outnumber 'collecters' by some way. As long as you cover your costs and time, I'd sell them.

May I suggest you don't. Some of this stuff is rare and listenable. There must be a marketwhere music lovers can buy music, as opposed to one where everything is perfect. I'd guess music lovers outnumber 'collecters' by some way. As long as you cover your costs and time, I'd sell them.
I think having these shitty messed up copies out on the market, just perpetuates myths about what vinyl sounds like.

Knackered vinyl is landfill, don’t attach value to worthless things. Rubbish is rubbish.

I think having these shitty messed up copies out on the market, just perpetuates myths about what vinyl sounds like.

Knackered vinyl is landfill, don’t attach value to worthless things. Rubbish is rubbish.
PM me before you skip your VG copy of BLP 1568. I'll happily cover postage.

S1uxWv4.png

P.S. The previously sold copy that made £1,146.77 was graded G+

With reference to using Discogs as a Buyer - If the record is something I want that is expensive and hard to get hold of I will try to engage the Seller in some discussion before paying.
I once messaged a seller and asked him how a VG+ grade record he was selling played. The reply: "Like a VG+ record" 😃

I asset strip wherever I can, e.g. if a record is knackered the sleeve or printed inner may be good and I’m sufficiently obsessive and detail-oriented I do know (or research if I don’t) exactly what cover variation fits with what label/matrix etc. I’ve got a few hundreds parts waiting to make full copies of stuff. If you’ve ever seen pics of my Leak TL12 Plus amps upstairs the Ikea rack they sit on is full of empty sleeves, inners, inserts, posters etc along with some doubles with one good disk. I only bin stuff that is valueless, and even then only parts of it.

I used to be really good at this back when my brain was sharper. I could remember *exactly* what I had in the parts dept and that meant I could complete an otherwise good bargain bin copy that had been knocked right down with horrible sticker damage, a name on the sleeve etc. I’m less good at remembering now, but the parts are still very useful for fixing stuff that comes in collections etc.

It's not about money Shrink
Its about music
remember music.
Imagine yourself alone with no one to admire your collection. For me, in that situation, I'd be happy to hear my music with clicks and pops and i care not a jot if the cover is creased or dirty
I'm just listening to the music.

PM me before you skip your VG copy of BLP 1568. I'll happily cover postage.

S1uxWv4.png

P.S. The previously sold copy that made £1,146.77 was graded G+
But this is the issue, because there are so many shit copies out there, it further elevates the value of “usable” copies.

I’d rather see a world where music lovers could access decent sounding records for a decent price, not creating collector demand leaving utter dross for the rest of us

It's not about money Shrink
Its about music
remember music.
Imagine yourself alone with no one to admire your collection. For me, in that situation, I'd be happy to hear my music with clicks and pops and i care not a jot if the cover is creased or dirty
I'm just listening to the music.

I don’t care what condition the cover is in, but pops and clicks drive me nuts. They’re so unnecessary. I buy vinyl to listen to it, not to collect it, but I also want to enjoy listening to it, and half the crap on Discogs is too noisy to be enjoyable.

advertisement

Back