advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trevor Leighton, March 1989

Trevor Leighton by Pete, on Flickr

In 3rd year at college we got the opportunity for a week long placement with a photographer. I ended up with an old bloke who had a top floor studio on Tottenham Court Road - it was awful, he seemed to do 5x4 pictures for small ads and bollocked me one morning because I'd eaten garlic.
So the next year , although I'd finished, our lecturer got in touch and offered me the chance to go down and spend the week with Trevor Leighton. Timing wasn't the best, it was London Fashion Week and he didn't have have a lot of work on, there were some portratits for the Workers For Freedom designers and perhaps one other in the studio. We did get on and he took me to an opening at the NPG where I got thoroughly drunk. I did help assist on a location portrait of Martin Sheen though.https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw79869/Martin-Sheen

This was taken in his studio off Kensington High Street.

Trevor Leighton, March 1989

Trevor Leighton by Pete, on Flickr

In 3rd year at college we got the opportunity for a week long placement with a photographer. I ended up with an old bloke who had a top floor studio on Tottenham Court Road - it was awful, he seemed to do 5x4 pictures for small ads and bollocked me one morning because I'd eaten garlic.
So the next year , although I'd finished, our lecturer got in touch and offered me the chance to go down and spend the week with Trevor Leighton. Timing wasn't the best, it was London Fashion Week and he didn't have have a lot of work on, there were some portratits for the Workers For Freedom designers and perhaps one other in the studio. We did get on and he took me to an opening at the NPG where I got thoroughly drunk. I did help assist on a location portrait of Martin Sheen though.https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw79869/Martin-Sheen

This was taken in his studio off Kensington High Street.
That must have been a great experience especially looking at all the famous people he has photographed so well. In the 80's before I was really into photography Bob Carlos Clarke was on my patch he used some of the products sold by the company I worked for - when I met him (only once with his wife) I remember some of the Sam Fox images in his house, I often think of those times, I wish he was still here creating great images....

Last edited:
This morning I set off, new tripod and Fuji in hand, and walked a mile out across the sand to some coastal rocks, and took a few snaps, some facing into the coming dawn over Leith (first pic), and some back towards my village (second pic). It was brutally cold but as a first trek out with the new tripod I appreciated the much lighter weight at least!

DSCF5040.jpg

DSCF5031.jpg

Was planning on Parkrun this morning but it looked frosty enough for it to be cancelled (in fact, it wasn't) and I noticed good light, so quickly got my cold weather gear on and popped down to the beach. It's an unashamed snap but the Q2 can polish turds, it seems....

L1010783.jpg

The full-res version, handheld at 1/30 f5.6, is nonetheless sharp enough to be able to tell that not only is there a guy standing on the peninsula, he's taking photos too... the Q2 rocks, but the XT2 still impresses :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back