advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toke, again from 1987. Didn't notice the cat at first. Fish in the tank behind him, the terrarium in the window held Poison Arrow Frogs, I'm sure there was a Tarantula about the place too.

Toke by Pete, on Flickr

I've not seen him in over 30 years, but know he was working at London Zoo as a Keeper of Invertebrates.

52619555603_96581a10bf_b.jpg

Cant't help thinking this view has a lot of potential especially with a figure(s)

in the sweet spot, Any conclusions re Canon 5 or 6?

A shame the woods were completely deserted - as is often the case here.

As to the 5D vs 6D, it's been enjoyable having the chance to compare them. There are certainly differences, with the 5D have a subtly warmer, richer colour balance - the 6D is cooler although not as much as, for example, my Nikon D700. What I like so much about the 5D is the tonal transitions which are incredibly smooth, looking just wonderfully natural - a character it shares with the D700. I'm quickly arriving at the conclusion that there's something rather special about a FF sensor with 'only' 12MP. There's a pop to their images which is undeniably pleasant.

Technically, even though it's an old design c/w modern stuff, the 6D is hugely better - low light/high ISO is of course one area where it wins out. I have done a few shots at ISO 1600 on the 5D (its native limit) and whilst yes, it is noisy, there is a pleasant look about the files - especially in mono. It's advisable to keep it to 800 if possible though. The D700 is about the same at 6400 where its noise pattern is also quite benign.

A shame the woods were completely deserted - as is often the case here.

As to the 5D vs 6D, it's been enjoyable having the chance to compare them. There are certainly differences, with the 5D have a subtly warmer, richer colour balance - the 6D is cooler although not as much as, for example, my Nikon D700. What I like so much about the 5D is the tonal transitions which are incredibly smooth, looking just wonderfully natural - a character it shares with the D700. I'm quickly arriving at the conclusion that there's something rather special about a FF sensor with 'only' 12MP. There's a pop to their images which is undeniably pleasant.

Technically, even though it's an old design c/w modern stuff, the 6D is hugely better - low light/high ISO is of course one area where it wins out. I have done a few shots at ISO 1600 on the 5D (its native limit) and whilst yes, it is noisy, there is a pleasant look about the files - especially in mono. It's advisable to keep it to 800 if possible though. The D700 is about the same at 6400 where its noise pattern is also quite benign.
Thanks for sharing your experience with these cameras - it's always good to get unbiased feedback.
I just noticed all my typos etc. in my previous post - fat fingers and small phones don't mix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back